Monday 28 December 2020

The Sunshine League 'And How I Would Like To Spend Christmas'...Christmas 1910. Part Four.

The Sunshine League 'And How I Would Like To Spend Christmas'...Christmas 1910. Part Four
 
The lives and letters of the children of the Sunshine League via the Daily News newspaper are my favourite subject to research and write about on this blog. They offer an insight into the lives of children of the time.  

This post is a continuation of the three previous posts on the Sunshine League and the Orphan's Christmas Cheer Fund in 1910, 'A Sunshine Maker's Bazaar In Subiaco...Christmas 1910, Part One' , 'Orphan's Christmas Cheer Fun...Christmas 1910, Part Two' and 'The Sunshine League and the Orphan's Christmas Fund.... Children's Opinions Christmas 1910, Part Three'.

In the early 1900s many of the children in Western Australia, Perth and Subiaco, entered competitions, donated money to charitable organisations like the Orphans Christmas Cheer Fund and the Children's Hospital Cot Fund and shared aspects of their lives through letters and essays in the children's pages run by Uncle Tom and Auntie Nell at the Daily News newspaper.

Many of the topics were suggested by Uncle Tom and Auntie Nell based on the children's interests and events happening around Perth and Western Australia. The essays were classified according to the age of the children. They were often published, often with a response by Uncle Tom or Aunty Nell who awarded prizes, usually a book on topics relevant to their interests. Even if unsuccessful the children were encouraged to continue writing, 

The children's letters record their feelings and observations about themselves, their life and family and events at the time. This post is about how some children in Perth would like to spend their Christmas. The children provide an interesting insight into the customs of their home including the arrival of Santa, presents, Christmas dinner, treats like Christmas pudding, going to Church and spending time with family and friends. There was one interesting letter where a young boy got a gun for Christmas and spent his day shooting at bottles. 

But there are also thoughts of others, including helping around the house, helping their mother with Christmas dinner and looking after little children but also the thought of those less fortunate like the orphans and the Christmas Cheer fund. 

The articles are from Trove, the database of the National Library of Australia. No copyright infringement intended.  

The photograph is from The Royal Historical Society of Western Australia photographic collection on how some people might enjoy Christmas Day in 1910 on the Swan River. No copyright infringement intended. 


Daily News, 24 December, 1910.

MY LETTER BAG

SUNSHINE-MAKING ACCOUNTS And WELCOME CORRESPONDENCE
 
Hamilton-street, East Fremantle. Dear Aunt Nell,— I wish to become one of your many nephews, and also to compete for your weekly prize this week, entitled 'What I Consider to be the Most Enjoyable Way to Spend Christmas Day'. Everybody in a nice, cosy, comfortable home; on Christmas Day is happy. The little ones rise quite early to meet the pleasant surprises which they will find Father Christmas has left for them in their stockings. 

Christmas Day is a quiet day, yet full of rejoicing and excitement. For Christmas morning church would be very suitable; returning home from there where a little help about the house would be very acceptable, for there is so much to do at this festive seasons. Then comes the best of all, Christmas dinner, and as we sit before our heaped plate of roast duck, baked potatoes, and other delicacies, to say nothing of a large, round steaming Christmas pudding, which perhaps is the most welcome of the Christmas dinner and we think of a small donation sent on towards the orphans' Christmas Cheer, we can think that we have made at least one little heart happy.  

Dinner over just when the day is at its hottest a rest would be beneficial. Later on, when the day is cooler, a short walk would  be beneficial, or a drive would be very refreshing. The evening may not be wasted, for a Christmas, party evening may be arranged, and a very happy time may be spent. Supper and the departing of guests would end ''What I consider to be a most enjoyable Christmas Day." Wishing you the compliments of the season and hoping you will accept, this small donation,  I remain, with love, your would be, nephew, HAROLD E. THOMSON, aged 16.
  
Dear Harold,— It gives me much pleasure to welcome you as my nephew, and I trust you will be a frequent contributor to the Children's Page. Your essay on 'What I Consider to be the Most Enjoyable Way to Spend Christmas' is very good, but this week, owing to competitions arriving late in the week and our Children's Page going to press earlier than usual, I cannot announce the prizewinners. The programme you suggest sounds most enjoyable, and I trust it will be your lot to enjoy such a Christmas Day. With best wishes for a happy yule tide, — Yours affectionately, Auntie Nell. P.S.— Many thanks for the shilling postal note enclosed in your letter. It was very kind of you, and has been added to our Thermometer.— A.N.

Daily News, 31 December, 1910.

ESSAYS

'HOW I WOULD LIKE TO SPEND CHRISTMAS.' PRIZE ESSAY.

Dear Auntie Nell,— I am writing, a letter on how I would like to spend Christmas Day: As it falls on Sunday this year, I think it will make a little difference how we should act. I think we should first of all rise in the morning in a very good temper, and get dressed, and go to church and pray; for all the dear little orphans throughout the whole, of the world, and ask God to give them some little thing to remind them that Christmas Day means so much, as it is Christ's birthday; then come home and help our parents to get the dinner.

Then go out for a nice quiet walk, and have a game with our toys; have our tea; and go to bed. and have a sleep, after thanking God for all the good things, and get ready for Monday (Boxing Day), the day for a lot of fun. Dear Auntie Nell, I am sending you a small sum towards the orphans' cheer. I do hope they will have a good holiday this year, Dear auntie, I won a medal this year in school for collecting a sum for the Children's Hospital.
 
I am if you remember, a dewdrop in the Fairy Set. I am willing to go and help the concert which is to take place, and do all I can to help it to be a success. I am sorry I cannot attend the concert tonight, as mother is not able to take me, and I cannot go by myself, but I do hope the dear old men, will enjoy themselves. I think this is all I have to say. Now I must close my letter, with all the good wishes for a Merry Christmas and a bright New Year.  I remain, with love from your loving niece,  DORIS MAY COLBOURNE Fulkirk-avenue, Maylands. AGED 10. Dear Auntie,  I enclose you 6d. and 3d. each for Ernie and Harry, my two brothers for the Christmas Cheer. 

Dear Doris,— Thank you very much for the shilling you brought In to me for the Orphans' Cheer Fund. Also thank Ernie and Harry for me for their share. You have written me a very nice little essay on 'How I Should like to Spend Christmas Day,' and you'll be glad to know you have gained a prize. You will naturally be proud of the medal awarded you for collecting for the Children's Hospital. You must have worked very energetically. Yes I remember you as a dewdrop quite well in the Fairy Set. Thank you for helping again in the New Year. 

Yes, the old men had a very excellent concert on Wednesday last, and we enjoyed ourselves. With many thanks for your good wishes and kisses, and hoping that you will all spend a bright and happy New Year, Yours lovingly, Auntie Nell. 

Dear Auntie Nell, I am a seaside boy, and I think the best way to spend Christmas is to go right away for a complete change into the country. Everything is so novel there, the kangaroos, the birds, and the scenery. Last year I went to Burracoppin, and had the time of my life. Dear aunt, I took my new rifle with me, and after having Christmas dinner I went out into the yard and shot at all the empty lemonade bottles. 

I have a brother, Tom, who works in a newspaper office, and he says the best way to spend Christmas Day is to have enough to eat at Christmas dinner for twenty four hours, and then to in to sleep till you get hungry again. That seems rather a queer way of doing things though I hope you spend a happy Christmas and a happy New Year. Dolly sends her love, and it from to send you 3d. for the hospital next week. - Your affectionate nephew CHARLIE SPENCER. Beaconsfield, East Perth.
 
Dear Auntie Nell, — The best way to spend Christmas Day is to paddle by the seaside and build castles in the sand. I don't much like mixed bathing, but I think it is great fun for a lot of young girls to get together and make a splash. Cottesloe Beach is my favorite place, because the sands are so clean and nice, and the water is not too deep. Edith is away at Albany for ten days. We do miss her so much. George is going to Rottnest on Monday. I hope he won't be seasick. With love from us all, — Your true niece, MARY DUNN. East Fremantle.
 
Dear Auntie Nell,— I see you are offering a prize, for the best letters on 'What I consider the best way to spend Christmas Day.' I should like to compete if you will allow me, but before I start I should like to explain to you why you have not heard from me for so many weeks. I have been away visiting my aunt in Bunbury. I had my holiday then instead of at Christmas, because at Christmas time mother could not spare me, as my aunt and two cousins are coming, to stay with us from Sydney. 

I think a good way to spend Christmas Day is to waken about 7 o'clock in the morning; and go and sing Christmas. Carols outside mother's and father's bedroom door. Then to hurry up and get dressed yourself, and help the little ones washed and dressed in time for breakfast. Then get in early and put all the presents on the plates, then when all the presents have been, admired to put them carefully away and get ready, for church. 

After church is over return home, enjoy a good Christmas dinner, and it's very exciting if you are lucky enough to find some silver in your portion of the pudding. After dinner always go and prepare afternoon tea, then we all go for a walk. For tea it is nice to, have some of your friends, and decorate the table prettily with creepers and Christmas cake and mince pies. 
In the evening music and games are nice, after which we should finish up with family worship, because we must not forget that it is Christ's birthday, and what his birth means to all the world. Sometimes the holiday spirit takes such possession of us that we are apt to forget the most vital lesson of all to he learned from Christmas. I hope the little orphans had a good Christmas, and that next year our League will work just as successfully. Hoping you will not find this too long, - Your  ever willing niece, BESSIE BURROWS.

Muelle Park. My Dear Auntie Nell,  It is, hard to say; the best way to spend Christmas Day, but really I think the best way is to go to the pantry before dinner and pick out all the three penny pieces from the Christmas pudding. My word, when I did this last year, you ought to have seen my brother Jack's face. He was very angry. I think a good way to spend Christmas is to try and make everybody happy. I always hang my stocking up, and I think that's one of the pleasures of Christmas Day. 

Mother, has to fill four little stockings; every year for us, so we should be very good during the year to her, don't you think so, auntie? My greatest joy is to hand over mother a present. No matter how small it is, she always seems to be very pleased. I never know what to get father, the things he wants are too expensive to buy. This year I presented him with a pretty pair of socks with pretty blue clocks up the sides. — From your loving niece, JEANIE GREY. P.S. I wish you a very merry, Christmas and happy New Year.— J.G.







Stories From The Perth Children's Hospital (1930 - 1950).

Stories From The Perth Children's Hospital (1930 - 1950). The Perth Children's Hospital was built in 1909 on the corner of Hay and T...