Tuesday 1 December 2020

The Letters From Peggy Bolster, A Sunshine League Member From Subiaco (1928).

The Letters From Peggy Bolster, A Sunshine League Member From Subiaco 1928.

Peggy Bolster was a 11 year old girl who lived at 229 Park Road, Subiaco in 1928. She was a member of the Sunshine League and wrote to Auntie Nell, the editor of the children's page at the Daily News newspaper for several years. Her letters can be found on Trove, the database of the National Library of Australia. 

Peggy's letters to Auntie Nell tell us the story of child who enjoyed the daily rythems of life including school, holidays and special occassions such as birthdays and Christmas. When she first started writing to Auntie Nell she was extremely sick and spent several years in and out of hospital and confined to bed. She eventually learned to walk again with aid of crutches and returned to the Subiaco State School. Her letters show a kind and thoughtful girl interested in others. She donated regularly to the Children's Hospital Cot Fund.

Peggy's letters also tell us of how children's activities change such as those at Luna Park in Cottesloe during the 1920's are considered inappropriate for children and racist such as "...There were a lot of funny things there, such as 'hit the nigger in the eye,' 'knock his teeth out,' and 'wring the duck's neck'..."

Peggy's last letter was on 5 December, 1931 when Auntie Nell had retired due to ill health and Peg Peggotty had taken over the children's pages of the Daily News. She hurt her leg and had been confined to bed and was waiting for an operation. 

The articles are from Trove the database at the National Library of Australia. No copyright infringement intended. 

Daily News, 15 December, 1928.

Peggy Bolster, 229 Park-street, Subiaco.— As this is the first time I have written to you, I would like to become one of your Sunshiners. Dad buys 'The Daily News' every Saturday, and I always ask for the children's page, which I like very much; especially Bib and Bub. I was eleven, last birthday. I am sending the competition for Saturday, 15th, also two ,l£d stamps for the Cot Fund, which you will find enclosed. I will close now, with best love to you and your Sunshiners. Please excuse my writing, as I have been in bed for over three years owing to sickness; and am now on crutches and getting better. 

Dear Peggy: It was. so very nice to have your little letter. You poor little girlie, I am so very sorry to hear that you have been in bed for three years. But how lovely to know you are getting better, and that you can use. crutches. I hope you will write to me often, dear, and that each time you write you will be able to tell me you grow stronger. Thank you so much for the stamp enclosed.

Daily News, 5 January, 1929.

Peggy Bolster, 229 Park-street, Subiaco: I received your prize for the competition, and it is a very nice book. I received 'The Lucky Girls' Budget,' 'The Girls' Budget,' 'Just Peggy,' and 'Blackie's Girls' Annual' as Christmas presents from my friends, besides several other nice things. It is nice to be remembered by one's friends at Christmas. Well, dear Auntie Nell, I hope you had a merry Christmas and I wish you a very happy and prosperous New Year, also all the members of the Sunshine League. Please find enclosed two stamps for the Cot Fund.

Dear Peggy: I am glad that you liked your prize and that you had such a happy Christmas. It is delightful to be remembered by our friends, and you were a lucky little girl to receive so many beautiful gifts. Thank you, dear, for the enclosed threepence, and your kind wishes. I do hope that 1929 holds renewed health and strength as well as other good things in store for you. 

Daily News, 2 February, 1929.

Peggy Bolster, 229 Park-street, Subiaco. — I hope you will forgive me for not writing to you sooner, but I feel sure you will, do so when you know the reason of my delay. Mum and I went to Cottesloe and have already stayed two weeks at the Hostel Manly, and as I had no writing materials I could not write to you. We intend staying six weeks, but as you see by the above ad dress we came home for today, as Mum had a few things to do, and we are going back tomorrow (Tuesday). I had some lovely shells given to me. I am enclosing a painting for the competition of February 2, also two stamps for the cot fund. Well, dear Auntie Nell, I will close now, with best love to you and your merry Sunshiners. 

Dear Peggy: I am glad that you are having such a lovely holiday at Cottesloe. Of course you are forgiven for not writing, dear, and much as I enjoy getting your nice little letters I think being out in the fresh sea breezes did you more good after your long illness. I hope the roses are coming back to your cheeks, and that you are able to run about and enjoy yourself. Thank you very much for helping the cot fund, and also for your pretty- painting.

Daily News, 2 March,1929.

Peggy Bolster. 229 Park-street, Subiaco. - Since I wrote to you last I have been to Cottesloe, but had to come back as I was not too well. It was very nice down there. Have you ever been to Luna Park, Auntie? Mum and I went nearly every night. There were a lot of funny things there, such as 'hit the nigger in the eye,' 'knock his teeth out,' and 'wring the duck's neck' there was also the dart, which I tried a few times and won a box of handkerchiefs, a candlestick with a kangaroo at the side, and two boxes of chocolates. I am entering for the competition for March 2 the solution of which is enclosed. Best wishes to yourself and your Sunshiners. 

Dear Peggy.—Luna Park sounds quite an exciting place. When you talk of hitting the nigger in the eye, knocking his teeth out and wringing the duck's neck, one feels that it is much safer to be well away from such a spot. However, it is evidently not as bad as it sounds, as so many people go and enjoy them selves there. You had quite a collection of prizes. Did you have to throw the dart? You must have a very straight eye to win so often. Many girls cannot throw a bit straight. Of course, sometimes boys don't hit the mark either. Some years ago I saw a small boy whom I knew throw a stone at another boy but the aim was a trifle wide of the mark and hit the street gas lamp. There was a crash of glass and the small boy disappeared down a lane. It was quite a puzzle to him to find that I knew what had happened.

Daily News, 18 May, 1929.

Peggy bolster, 220 Park-street, Subiaco. I am sending in the solution of the word-square competition for May 18 and I hope it is correct. Since I last wrote to you, Auntie, I have been for two lovely car drives. One was to Fremantle to see one of the mail boats off, and the other was to Queen's Gardens, Perth, and around Mount's Bay-road, and the view of the Swan River was beautiful. I enjoyed myself very much. Well, dear Auntie Nell, I will close with best wishes to yourself and Sunshiners. 

Dear Peggy,— That was nice. Do you like the Queen's Gardens?  I love to go there and feed the ducks or take a book and sit on one of the banks of the ponds under a tree. From my balcony I have a lovely view of the Swan River, and it is marvellous the number of changes that can be seen in the little bay through the year.

Daily News, 9 November, 1929.

Peggy Bolster, 229 Park-street, Subiaco. I hope you will forgive me when I tell you my excuse. I suppose you will be surprised when I tell you that I am going to school now. I like it very much. The teachers and children are very nice to me. I have been going for about two or three months. I am going to the Subiaco State School. I was very much surprised when the headmaster (Mr. Llewellyn), after asking me a few necessary questions, put me in the fifth class. My teacher's name is Miss Dunstan. She is very nice. The weather is very unpleasant, isn't it? Well, dear Auntie Nell, I will close now, with best wishes to yourself and your Sunshiners. Please find enclosed the solution of competition for Saturday, November 9. 

Dear Peggy,— Your news came as a great surprise, and, of course, you are forgiven for not writing lately. I, can just Imagine how delighted you are to be able to attend school, and have such nice teachers and school chums. What good progress you have made with your lessons at home, in spite of your ill health, to be put in the fifth class, and you will find it very pleasant to work with others and join in their games. 

Daily News, 28 December,1929.

Peggy Bolster 229 Park-street Subiaco

I am sending in the solution to the Jumbled Christmas Presents Competition for Saturday, December 21, hoping it is correct, as I  would very much like to win a prize for Christmas. I have been very busy at school lately, as we have a parents' night every year before the holidays. We have to all we have done during the year - drawings, paintings, compositions, show writing and sewing - and fix them on the wall. I only put my sewing up, as my drawings, etc.. were not very good, as I have not been there very long. My sewing consisted of seven d'oyleys (most of which I had made when I was sick) a doll's pinafore, petticoat, and skirt and a little lavender bag. I really think that our room looked the best decorated room in the school. I was decorated with fern and different kinds of flowers. I am now closing, with best love. my age is 13 on February 20. 

Daily News, 12 April, 1930.

Peggy Bolster, 229 Park-street, Subiaco. — I am sure I don't know what you are thinking of, me, Auntie.- It is ages since I have written to you, but I have, been writing to Aunt Bessy of the Record, so I forgot to write to you until I picked up the children's page in 'The Daily News,' so I decided to write to you to show you that I had not altogether forgotten you. Since I last wrote to you I have had a birthday party. I was thirteen on February 20. I invited fourteen girls, but only eleven came, as one had her tonsils out, another had a cold, and the other had a very sore throat. We had ice creams, fruit, cakes, etc., and I had a lovely, birthday cake with 13 candles on it. I had some lovely presents, including two dainty cups and saucers, handkerchiefs, writing set, a lovely box of wallflower soap, an ivory rose brooch, a book called 'From Billabong to London,' and numerous other useful presents. I am sending in the puzzle for April 12, hoping to win a prize. I hope you will like the snap I am sending you. I am in the middle of the second row. I don't think it turned out very well, so you will be able to pick me out very easily as I am the ugliest! I tried to look as pleasant as possible, but did not succeed very much. It is my camera that took the photo. It (the photo.) turned out good, don't you think so, Auntie?

Dear Peggy, — I am so glad that you have not forgotten Auntie Nell altogether, and hope that many letters will follow this one. You were a lucky girl to receive so many lovely gifts, and tohave such a delightful birthday party. Thank you very much, dear, for the pretty group you sent me. Far from being ugly, you look very bright and happy in the midst of your little friends, and I will always have your face in my mind's eye now when I write to you.

Daily News, 3 May,1 930.

Peggy Bolster, 229 Park-street, Subiaco. I was very pleased to hear that you liked the photo I forwarded to you and am glad you were able to recognise me amongst the other girls in the group. Hasn't it been very cold lately? Do you prefer the winter or the summer, Auntie I prefer autumn and spring, because it's never hot or cold, is it ?  I hope you had an enjoyable Easter ? Did you go away for the holidays ? Enclosed please find the solution of the Crossword Puzzle for April 29, hoping I am successful in winning a prize. I found the crosswprd a little difficult at first, but I think I have found the right answers - at least I hope so. When I took up my pen to write you I only intended to write you a few lines, but I am afraid I have written more than a few lines. Best wishes to yourself and Sunshiners. 

Dear Peggy,— Like you, I think autumn and spring the nicest seasons of the year, and since your letter reached me we have had some lovely weather. I am glad that you did not keep to your intention of only writing me a few lines, and must thank you, dear, for the stamp you enclosed for the Cot Fund, and also for your good wishes. I had a happy Easter, although I did not go away, and hope you enjoyed yourself, too.

Daily News, 17 May, 1930. 

Peggy Bolster, 229 Park-street, Sublaco. — As I take up my pen to write to you, I only intend to write a few lines so I hope I will keep to my resolution. I am sending in the solution to the word square competition for Saturday, May 17th, hoping it is correct. The weather has been lovely lately, hasn't it ? Your Sunshiners are increasing every week, aren't they, Auntie? Last week, mother and I went to see 'Rio Rita,' at the Capitol. Have you seen it ? It was mostly dancing and singing. Although we liked every part of it, I preferred the part that was colored best of all. Bebe Daniels is a very clever and pretty actress, isn't she? I am afraid you will not think I am very good at  trying to keep resolutions. Best wishes to yourself and your Sunshiners. 

Dear Peggy: Youp letter was not a bit too long and I am glad that you did not keep to your resolution to write only a few lines. The very short letters are as a rule most uninteresting. I like to hear what my Sunshiners are doing, and so do other readers of our page. I have not seen 'Rip Rita,' but have heard quite a lot about it from my little correspondents. 

Daily News, 21 June, 1930.

Peggy Bolster, 229 Park-street, Subiaco. - I don't know what you will be thinking of me for not writing to you last week to thank you for the lovely prize you sent me. But my only excuse is that I was not feeling too well. I received the prize last Monday week, and I was so pleased with it that I asked mother if I could bring it to school to show my teacher (Miss. Dunstan). Bib and Bub seem more amusing every week; don't they, Auntie? Have you seem 'The Black Watch' ? Mother and I went to see it at West's Picture Theatre last week, and although we liked it very much. I think it was too sad. Do you like sad pictures? I don't. Well, dear Auntie Nell, I must close now, as it is getting late. With best love and wishes to yourself and Sunshiners. Please find enclosed two stamps for the Cot Fund.

Dear Peggy: I am so sorry that you have not been feeling well, and your failure to write sooner is quite excusable. It is good to know that your prize gave you so much pleasure, and I hope it will not be long before you are again among the lucky ones. I have not seen 'The Black Watch,' and as a rule I like cheerful pictures. Be sure you see 'Disraeli.' 

Daily News, 25 October, 1930.

Peggy Bolster, Subiaco. — I am writing this letter to show you that although it is a long time since I wrote to you, I have not forgotten you altogether. I have finished reading 'Floss Silverthorne,' and think it is one of the most interesting books I have read. Have, you read it. Auntie? The weather has been very nice lately, hasn't it? Did you go to the Show? Although I did not go, I am sending in an imaginary account of it for the competition for October 25. As my news bag is exhausted, I will close now with best, wishes to yourself and your Sunshiners,

Dear Peggy,— Yes, I went to the Show, and though you did not win a prise for your essay I was very much pleased with your description of an imaginary visit. I have read your last prize book, and am glad you enjoyed it.

Daily News, 9 June, 1931.

Peggy Bolster, Subiaco. — I am writing tills letter to ask you if I had written before to thank you for the lovely book you sent me, but if I have not I will thank you now, even though it is a bit late, but I suppose it is better late than never. Bib and Bub are always up to some mischief, aren't they, Auntie? The weather has been very nice lately, hasn't it? Well, dear Auntie Nell, as I cannot think of any more news for the present, I will close, hoping to have more news the next time I write. Please excuse my writing as I am writing in bed, as I am not too well, and find enclosed a twopenny stamp for the Cot Fund. 

Dear Peggy. — It was so nice to get another letter from you, but I never like hearing that my Sunshiners are sick. 

Daily News, 29 August, 1931.

"... I am sorry Peggy Bolster missed the page and will make inquiries about her prize..." 

Daily News 5 December, 1931.

As I have not written since you announced your intention of taking over the children's page, I don't suppose you remember me, although I think you told one of your Sunshiners that you had been carrying on anonymously during the previous few months, so perhaps you nave neard of me,' writes Peggy Bolster. 'During the last five or six months I have spent in bed, as I hurt my leg somehow, but the doctor said I would be alright after a slight operation which might be performed in a few weeks time. So you must excuse my writing, as I find it rather difficult to write in bed. I was very sorry to hear that Auntie Nell had to retire, owing to illness, and if you see her would you please give her my  best wishes, and that I hope she will soon be enjoying the very best of health. I would be very pleased if you would Peg - Certainly, Peggy, I hope you are soon well, too.



Stories From The Perth Children's Hospital (1930 - 1950).

Stories From The Perth Children's Hospital (1930 - 1950). The Perth Children's Hospital was built in 1909 on the corner of Hay and T...