Thursday 10 December 2020

Margaret Robertson...Subiaco Member Of The Sunshine League (1916).

Margaret Robertson...Subiaco Member Of The Sunshine League (1916).  

Margaret Robertson was a 12 year old girl who lived at 64 Subiaco Road, Subiaco in 1916. Margaret, like many other children from Western Australia and Subiaco wrote to Auntie Nell at the Daily News newspaper who edited the children's pages and attempted to win prizes in competitions, have their letters published and donate money to the Children's Hospital's Cot Fund.

In March 1916, Margaret sent Auntie Nell a painting she had done, entered a competition and included a photograph of herself. Margaret won a prize for the painting and her photograph was published on the children's page the following week. So who was this young girl Margaret Robertson ? 

After a search on Trove, the database at the National Library of Australia Margaret wrote several letters to Auntie Nell. In her first letters she mentions that in 1916 Australia was at war and the event was occupying the thoughts of the nation including those of children. 

Margaret wrote of the difficulty of writing a letter using pen and ink. "...This is the fifth time I have attempted to write to you this week. The first time I made a mistake in a word. The second time I put some capital letters in the wrong place. The third time I smudged a word. The fourth time I looked away from my letter and when I looked back there was a huge blot on it. So this is my last attempt..." (Daily News, 17 June, 1916).

While there are many wonderful letters from Subiaco members of the Daily News newpaper's  Sunshine League that provide insight into the daily lives of Australian children there are not many photographs of the children themselves. The photograph inspired further research. 

The Post Office Directories from Western Australia showed that in 1916 the Robertson family did live at 64 Subiaco Road, Subiaco. Margaret's father William Robertson was a well respected architect with an office at 105 St Georges Terrace, Perth.  

From a biography of William Robertson in the Cyclopedia of Western Australia by S J Battye in 1912 states on his personal life "...He married Elsie Jane Paltridge at Mount Morgan (south of Kalgoorlie) in 1901 and the couple had two daughters, in 1902 Theodora whose birthplace was registered as Laverton, and in 1903 Margaret whose birthplace was registered as the Perth suburb of Cottesloe. Thus it is possible that the family moved to metropolitan Perth in 1903, perhaps after Robertson completed work on the State Hotel at Gwalia (adjacent to Leonora), opened on 3 June 1903..." 

Although Margaret had a sister Theodora is does not appear she wrote to Auntie Nell at the Daily News or any other papers. 

The letters are from Trove, the database of the National Library of Australia. No copyright infringement intended.

Daily News, 11 March, 1916.

64 Subiaco-road, Subiaco. Dear Auntie Nell - I am sending in a painting for this week, and hope to win a prize, if I am not too late. I have written to you before but not for a very long time. I think the war is attracting everybody's attention, so they have no time for other things. I am enclosing one penny stamp for Cot Fund. I hope the war will soon end. - I remain your affectionate niece, MARGARET ROBERTSON, Aged 12 years.

Winners of the Painting Competition

Margaret Robertson

Olga Barbour

Katie Barbour

Gwen Kidd

Daily News, 1 April 1916.

64 Subiaco-road, Subiaco. Dear Auntie Nell, - I received the prize you sent me and like it very much, thank you. I am sending in my solution for the Floral Charade, it is Cowslip. I am enclosing my photo and I am enclosing a Patch Quilt puzzle that I am wondering if you have seen - I remain, your affectionate niece, MARGARET ROBERTSON Aged 12 years. Thank you for the puzzle you sent, Margaret. I hope to use it later on. I am sorry your photo could appear last week. Auntie Nell. 

Daily News, 22 April, 1916

64 Subiaco-road Subiaco Dear Auntie Nell, - I am sending in my solution for the "Word Square" puzzle, I hope to win a prize, as I have not got a book to read now. Today we had an examination in French. I hope I have passed: if I have I will you I will tell you; but if if I have not I will not mention it. How are you ? I hope you are quite well. We have an examination every day this week except Friday; that day we have a holiday. - I remain, your loving niece, MARGARET ROBERTSON, Aged 12 years. Solution of Word Square: Arms, real, mate, slow. 

Daily News, 17 June, 1916

64 Subiaco - road, Subiaco. Dear Auntie Nell,— This is the fifth time I have attempted to write to you this week. The first time I made a mistake in a word. The second time I put some capital letters in the wrong place. The third time I smudged a word. The fourth time I looked away from my letter and when I looked back there was a huge blot on it. So this is my last attempt. I have solved the answer to the "Jumbled Word" puzzle, and my answer is 'Handkerchief,' which I hope Is correct. I see by ''The Dally News" you have found a use for my puzzle. I must end my letter now,— I remain, your affectionate niece, MARGARET ROBERTSON, Aged 12 years. 

Daily News 8 July, 1916

Dear Auntie Nell, - I have solved the Sampler puzzle, and I have drawn and painted a picture, but do not know when I will send it to you, as it is not until the 8th of July. I am in the higher fifth at school, and I like my teacher very much. I think it is such a nice idea to have a library for each class at school. I have just finished a library book called "Ned in the Woods." It is a boys' book, but it is very nice. I have taken up enough of your valuable space, so I will conclude. My answer is "Eliza by thou true, constant in everything. Love always us and art." - I remain your affectionate niece, MARGARET ROBERTSON Aged 12 years.

Daily News, 28 July 1917

AUNTIE NELL'S POSTSCRIPT.

PRIZE WINNERS FOR FAIRY TALES.

MARGARET EVANS. 

MARGARET ROBERTSON. 

NIX SADLIER.













Stories From The Perth Children's Hospital (1930 - 1950).

Stories From The Perth Children's Hospital (1930 - 1950). The Perth Children's Hospital was built in 1909 on the corner of Hay and T...