Tuesday 1 December 2020

The Letters From The Carter Children From Subiaco (1926 -1931).

The Letters From The Carter Children From Subiaco (1926 -1931).

As previously stated on a number of blog posts children were encouraged to write letters to an editor in the children's pages of newspapers, sharing aspects of their lives, their creative work and entering competitions for prizes. Many of the letters and examples of their creative work were published with responses from the editor.  

Many children wrote to Uncle Tom, Auntie Nell and Peg Peggotty who edited the children's pages at the Daily News newspaper. The newspaper in the early 1900's established the Sunshine League in which children became members and were encouraged to be kind and think of others by helping to raise money for local charities including the Children's Hospital in Subiaco via the Cot Fund. 

Research on Trove, the database of the National Library of Australia state many children from Subiaco were members of the Sunshine League. Their letters describe what it was like to be a child growing up in Western Australia and Subiaco in the early years. Many examples of children's creative work including short stories, essays and poetry were published and some of these have been included in previous blog posts. 

Some children wrote only once or twice and gave up when they were unsuccessful at winning a prize despite encouragement from the editor to continue. Many children like Dorothy, Essie and Wilfred Carter from Hensman Road wrote over a number of years. However, winning a prize was not the main motivation for these children writing but the fact they actually had their name and letters published in the newspaper. 

Dorothy Carter who was eight years old in 1926 was encouraged to write to Auntie Nell and become a member of the Sunshine League by their mother after she and her little brother became very sick and were admitted to the Children's Hospital hospital in 1926. There are stories of generations of families becoming members of the Sunshine League in the letters. Dorothy, Essie and Wilfred continued to write to Auntie Nell entering competitions, winning  prizes, sharing stories from their daily lives and making donations to the Cot Fund for several years. They also wrote to Auntie Kitty at the Sunday Times. 

When Dorothy, Essie and Wilfred first started writing they rented a house in Townshend Road, Subiaco. The family then moved to a rented house in Hensman Road, Subiaco. The father's name Claude Carter on Hensman Road appears on the Western Australian post office directories and the Western Australia heritage data base. There is a wonderful description of the house the family lived in and stated they rented it from 1931 to 1938. However, the children's letters from Trove state the family lived at the house long before that. Unfortunately after extensive research the name of their mother could not be found to see if any of her letters and creative work were published as a member of the Sunshine League with Uncle Tom.

There is a wonderful story shared by Essie from 1929  "I am just writing a few lines to tell you that we have a horse in our paddock, and this morning at about 6 o'clock the horse came into the dining room and went over to the cupboard. We heard the things rattling, so my little brother, who is about the first to get up, went out into the dining-room, and when he saw the horse he ran on to my bed, because he was frightened. So dad got up and put it outside." Many of the children like Dorothy and Essie were friends with other members of the Sunshine League at school and worked together in groups such as a garden.  

The articles are from Trove, the database at the National Library of Australia. No copyright infringement intended. 

Daily News, 20 March 1926.

Dorothy Carter, - 129 Townshend-road, Subiaco Mother wishes me to join your Sunshine League, as she was member when Uncle Tom was in charge. My birthday is on April 12, and I will be eight years old. I go to the the Covent School Rosalie, and am to be in third standard. On Christmas Eve I went into the Children's Hospital with enterie fever, and they were very kind to me there. I have not gone back to school yet, as I am only home a few weeks. I am only answering this week's puzzel and sending 6d for the Cot Fund. My baby brother is still in hospital, and I have one brother and three sisters at home.

Daily News, 7 January 1928.

Wilfed Carter, - 129 Townshend-road, Subiaco. — I was glad that my sister won a prize, and I hope I win one also. My cousins came down to our house and we had a happy Christmas. My little brother got a little bike for Christmas. We had a Christmas pudding and my father got threepence and my auntie got threepence. Well I must close now. With love. I am entering for this week's puzzle.

Dear Wilfred, - You and Dorothy both had last week's puzzle right but your letters reached me after the competition closed on Tuesday. Will you send them in earlier in future, and I should also like you to write longer letters. How nice It was having your cousins with you for Christmas, and I am glad that you had such a happy tune. 

Dorothy Carter, - 129 Townshend-road, Subiaco. — I am writing to thank you for having my name as a prize-winner. I am entering for the crazy Christmas pudding. I am going swimming, this afternoon. For Christmas I got a big doll, a music case, an armlet, and lots of other things. Well, as I have a bad nib my writing is not very good, so I will close with love.

Dear Dorothy, - I hope that your prize reached you safely, and that you like it. You were a fortunate little girl to receive so many beautiful presents. What name have you given to your new doll?

Daily News, 14 January, 1928.

Dorothy Carter, - 129 Townshend-road, Subiaco. I am writing a few lines to you this week to tell you I have read my prize book, and find it a very nice story indeed. I will try and keep it a long time, as I am very fond of books. We had a very enjoyable Christmas. Our aunts and cousins were here from the country, and have now gone home. On Monday we went to Crawley, and had a very nice time. I spent most of the time swimming, and we were all very tired at night. I have three brothers and three sisters, and our baby, who is 14 months' old, has just started to walk. His name is Arnold, and I have to look after him during my holidays. We return to school on the 1st of February. Well, I must close and am enclosing ld for the Cot Fund. With love.

Dear Dorothy, - I am glad that you liked your prize, and that you are going to take care of it. We should treat our books as friends, and I am always sorry to see them handled carelessly. How delightful it was to have your aunt and cousins with you for Christmas. What a sweet pet baby Arnold must be, and I am sure you all love him very dearly.

Daily News, 17 March, 1928

Wilfred Carter. - 129 Townshend-road, Subiaco — Just a few lines to let you know I received the prize which I was lucky enough to win a few weeks ago. I have read some of the stories and findthem very interesting. My little brother and sister met with accidents lately. My sister, fell off the verandah and broke her collarbone, and my little brother who is only 15 months aid had his finger caught in the door and had to have his fingerrnail taken off. I have great fun with a bike I made myself from parts of some other bikes. This is all just now dear Auntie Nell, so I will close with fondest love.

Dear Wilfred,  ­- I am so sorry that your baby brother and sister met with such painful accidents and hope the little darlings are getting better. How worried you must all have been. I am glad the prize reached you safely and that it proved so interesting. It was quite clever of you to make up a bicycle for yourself, and I expect if gives you more pleasure than a brand new one.

Daily News 7 April, 1928

Dorothy Carter, - 129 Townshend-road, Subiaco — I am writing to you this week as I have not written to you so regularly. I was pleased to hear I passed in my theory examination with 89 marks, and am now studying for the next one in theory and practice. Last Sunday was our Sunday School Anniversary, and my brother and I received a nice prize for attendance and lessons. We read our page in every Saturday's paper and find it very interesting, also the puzzles. I am sending in this week's answers and hope they are correct. Enclosed is a stamp for the Cot Fund. With love. 

Dear Dorothy, - I have missed your bright little letters lately, but when you are studying special subjects I know you have not much time for writing. I must congratulate you on doing so well in the theory examination, and hope you will be just as successful in the next two. You and Wilfred must have worked hard at your Sunday School lessons, and Auntie Nell is proud of her two little Sunshiners. 

Daily News, 13 October 1928.

Dorothy Carter, - 129 Townshend-road, Subiaco: I am writing, to you once again, and hope you wiil forgive me, but I have been working hard for a music examination and now I have more  time I will write regularly. I received my marks, and I got 109 out of 150. I am entering for the Ant puzzle, and I hope I am successful. I will close now; hoping to see my letter in print.

Dear Dorothy, - Lessons and music come before letter-writing of course but it was very nice to receive another little note from you. I am glad to hear that you hope to write more frequently in future, and hope your next letter will be much longer. You must have worked well, dear, to gain so many marks at your examination. 

Daily News, 10 November 1928

Dorothy Carter, - 129 Townshend-road Subiaco - I went the show on Children's Day, and had a most enjoyable excursion. The weathe was glorious. Did you do on people's day, Auntie? We were very luck this as every day was fine. I had five shillings to spend. We have a baby about three mothers old and a lady has been looking after him, but now he has returned hom. I spend nearly all my time minding him or gardening. Several of my school friends write to you and their names are Mary and Nora McNamara, Betty, Mollie and Nancy Jones, Lillian Coppin and I coaxed to write to you Veronica Pickering. Three girls and I have a garden at school and during the show holidays the flowers grow splendidly. I am working hard for another music examination which I hope to pass. Last Saturday week I went for a music competition at our Sunday school, and cam third and got a lovely book called 'The Secret Shore' and it was beautiful. Well, Auntie I will close now hoping to see my name among the prize winners. 

Dear Dorothy, - Congratulations on winnng a prize at the musical competition, I was interested to hear that so many of your school friends are fellow Sunshiners and glad you had such a good time at the show. How delighted you must be to have your dear little baby brother home again to love and care for. 

Daily News, 8 December, 1928.

Dorothy Carter, - 129 Townshend-road, Subiaco. — I hope you are not thinking that I was disappointed about my prize, but that idea is quite wrong, for the prize book was lovely. Aladdinetta is funny, isn't she? I went for my theory exam which I told you was on December 1 and so you will receive a letter from me more frequently. Our school exam started today, and we had quite a lot of subjects. My garden at school is dying out, but dad has got some seeds which he is giving me. The other day we had votes to see whose garden was the best, and luckily Nora M'Namara, Mollie Jones and Lillian Coppin's garden succeeded and they received a lovely big box of chocolates. The box was so nice that they picked to see who should have it, and Mollie got nearest to it, so the box was given to her after the chocolates had been shared. Well. Auntie, I will close now, with bushels of love to you and your merry band of Sunshiners. I enclose a penny half penny stamp for the cot fund. 

Dear Dorothy, - You have been a busy little girl lately, but it is good to know that you will have more time to write to your old aunt now. Will you always remember to state your age when writing. Aladdinetta was indeed a quaint little soul, and I am glad that you enjoyed the pretty story, dear. You will be anxiously awaiting the result of your various exams, and I hope to hear a long that you have passed them all successfully. How pleased you must have been when your three friends received the prize for the best garden.

Daily News, 8 December 1928.

Essie Carter, - 129 Townshend-road, Subiaco— I am sorry I did not write before, but I suppose you have still a niche for me in your memory. My little brother John is quite big now, although he is only four months old. I am eight years of age, and in the second standard at school, but hope to be in the third soon. We started our school exam, today and had the subjects- dictation, sums, poetry, reading, and several others. Well, I will draw my letter to a close, as it is 9 o'clock and time I was in bed. I'm hoping to see my name amongst the prize winners. 

Dear Essie, - Auntie Nell has a good memory where her Sunshiners are concerned, and so when I received your letter I hadn't to think twice who my little correspondent was. I am glad that you are getting on so well at school, and hope to hear soon that you have been promoted to the third standard. I am sure you all love baby John very dearly, and make a great pet of him. It was very good of you and Dorothy and Wilfred to remember the cot fund again.

Daily News, 22 December. 1928

Dorothy Carter, - 129 Townshend-road. Subiaco — Essie was delighted to see her name in print among the prize winners. We went for a picnic Point Walter last Saturday, and had a most enjoyable, excursion. There were several races for boys and girls, in which Essie was successful and received a huge tea set. I went for a swim and was in the water nearly all the afternoon. We are having a concert at school on Thursday, and I am in a dialogue called 'The Magic Xmas Stocking.'  It is very funny.  I am also in a song called 'Two Little Girls in Blue'. It is sad, but funny Well, Auntie, I will close now with love to you and your merry band of nieces and nephews. 

Daily News 23 March, 1929

Essie Carter, - 156 Hensman-road, Subiaco.— I am sorry to have not written and thanked you for my prize but I hope, you will forgive me. I received it quite all right. I am going to a concert on Friday, and some of my school mates are coming with me; their names are Hazel White, Una Davies and Olive Davies. I am going to the Zoo on Saturday, so I will write and tell you about it. I am sending  3d for the cot fund, and also entering for the missing animals. Well I must close now, with bushels of love to you and your merry sunshiners. 

Dear Essie, - I was pleased to hear that your, prize, reached you safely and hope that you enjoyed its contents. You had, all but one answer to the puzzle right, dear, but will you remember to always state your age when entering for the competitions. I hope you and your little friends had an enjoyable time at the concert: I shall look forward with interest to an account of it and also of your visit to the zoo.

Daily News 6 April, 1929

Essie Carter, - 156 Hensman-road, Subiaco. — I am just writing a few lines to tell you that we have a horse in our paddock, and this morning at about 6 o'clock the horse came into the diningroom and went over to the cupboard. We heard the things rattling, so my little brother, who is about the first to get up, went out into the dining-room, and when he saw the horse he ran on to my bed, because he was frightened. So dad got up and put it outside. Won't it be fun when Easter comes, auntie? You will have a lot of Easter eggs then. Well, I must close now with bushels of love to you and your merry Sunshiners.

Dear Essie, - What a surprise you must all have had when you found the horsy in the dining-room, and how you must have laughed about it when he was safely I outside again. Perhaps he was looking for sugar, and must have thought he was in a queer sort of place. I hope you enjoyed every moment of your Easter holidays, and that the Easter eggs and hot cross buns were all that could be wished for.

Daily News, 13 April 1929

Dorothy Carter, - 156 Hensman-road, Subiaco: I am sorry I did not, write to you before, but I really did not have time. 1 went to Norai Beach for the Christmas holidays, and had the most enjoyable time. Some days the waves were enormous. I use to run along the beach and then instantly plunge into the waves as they came rolling in. Several times, as I was standing not far from the edge of the water, a huge wave broke on top of me, and I was turned all ways in the air. Last Saturday week I went to a party of one of my friends and enjoyed myself immensely. It is my birthday on the 12 th of April, and I will be 11. It was our Sunday school anniversary last Sunday, and I got a most beautiful prize called 'Brenda and the Babes.' Since the Christmas holidays our gardens at school are not very nice. I have some seeds to sow when it is cultivated, and hope they come up successfully. One day after school Essie and I decided to go down to Crawley Beach for a swim, so after packing our bathers and towels in a case we set off. When we reached the beach we rushed to the bathing sheds to get undressed, but to our surprise when we paddled about two yards from the shore, we discovered that the tide was swollen high. Well, auntie, dear, I will close now with heaps of kisses to you and your ever-increasing band of Sunshiners. 

Dear Dorothy, - What a long way back this Christmas holidays seem now, but when we have had a very jolly time the memory of them remains for many a long day. While bathing you need to be careful not to go where there is a strong backwash, or you might be taken too far out by the waves. Birthdays are very delightful, and I hope you had a very happy time yesterday, dear. You were a lucky girl to get a prize at Sunday school. You must have been working well.

Essie. Carter,  - 156 Hensman-road,  Subiaco: I suppose that my letter was too late to be published. I am entering for this week's competition, and hope to be one of the lucky ones. We went to Crawley yesterday and it was lovely. We walked through King's Park coming back. When dad gets his holidays everyone is going away, so I might stay at my auntie's house. I have a great big Easter' egg, and I put it away. Well, Auntie, I must close now. I am sending a stamp for the Cot Fund.

Essie Carter, Subiaco: It was my auntie's birthday yesterday, and it will be my sister's on Friday; she will be eleven. Have you been to the Luxor Theatre, Auntie? I went there once to see Aladdin, and it was a lovely play. I have not been to the Ambassadors. Yet I am entering for this week's puzzle, and hope to be one of the lucky ones. I have read my other prize, and it was very interesting. Well, Auntie, I must close now with love to you and your merry Sunshiners.

Dear Essie, - I hope you saw your previous letter in our page last Saturday. I received so many letters that I had to hold over your other one and also Dorothy's. Crawley is a delightful spot, and we are lucky in having such fine baths there. Didn't you find bathing just a wee bit cold? We all love our beautiful park, and I hope you and all my other Sunshiners do your best to keep it from being spoiled by people who yick the flowers, often pulling up the roots, or who carelessly set it on fire.

Daily News, 17 May, 1930.

Dorothy Carter, - 156 Hensman-road, Subiaco. I expect you will think me very ungrateful for not writing and thanking you for my prize straight away, but as I sent the riddle-me-ree in  myself I decided, to wait for the next competition. I have finished reading my book and it was very nice; all the way through it was interesting. I have quite a library of books, but not one of them could beat 'Angel Pig.' You are very good at guessing which kind of books I like. School stories are my favorite. I received quite a number of birthday presents; a wristlet watch which my uncle from Mount Magnet gave me. Also a ring, school case, manicure set, bottle of scent, several new frocks, five shillings, a pair of silk hose, and a big box full of handkerchiefs. Don't you think I was very lucky, Auntie? We are preparing the soil at school for our gardens, in which, when ready, we are going to plant carnations, cosmos, and several others. At school we are expecting the examiner to walk in at any time. Well, Auntie, I will close now thanking you for the prize.

Dear Dorothy, - I did not think you at all ungrateful, and I am so glad that your prize is amongst your best liked books. You were very lucky indeed to receive so many lovely birthday gifts, and must have a lot of kind friends. Thank you, dear, for the enclosed stamp and also for the puzzle, which I hope to use soon. How gay your school garden will look when all those lovely flowers are in bloom.

Daily News 9 August, 1930

Dorothy Carter, - 156 Hensman-road, Subiaco.— Doesn't the time fly, Auntie? It will soon be Christmas again. Molly and I have become great friends, and I enjoy reading her newsy letters. We are going to make arrangements to meet each other soon. At school the teacher has picked 'A' and 'B'. basketball sides', and we are going to play a school match next week. We played Victoria Square last Saturday, and were pleased to come home with the glad news of winning by five goals. Betty Johnston, one of your Sunshiners. and I are both in the 'B' team, and we wear blue ribbons around our heads. I am entering for the two puzzles and hope to be successful. The baby was two years old last Monday and received several nice presents. Well, Auntie, I will close now, hoping to write a longer letter next time.

Dear Dorothy, - Your letter was very welcome, and I am so glad that you and Molly have become such friends, it will be delightful to meet one another. I was interested in your news of the basketball teams, and can imagine your pleasure at the victory over Victoria Square school. What a sweet pet baby must be.

 

Stories From The Perth Children's Hospital (1930 - 1950).

Stories From The Perth Children's Hospital (1930 - 1950). The Perth Children's Hospital was built in 1909 on the corner of Hay and T...