Monday 28 December 2020

Lily Groth And A Christmas Story From Subiaco (1908).

Lily Groth And A Christmas Story From Subiaco (1908).

Lily Groth was an 11 year old girl who lived at 83 Robinson-Street, Subiaco in 1907. In 1907 she wrote to Uncle Tom, the editor of the children's pages of the Daily News newspaper to become a member of the Sunshine League. Lily's name, address and age were published in the children's pages on the 30 November, 1907. The following week her letter to Uncle Tom was published. 

"...Uncle Tom, I am writing to ask you if you would accept me as one of your many nieces. I am 11 years old, and my birthday is on June 10. I have a garden, which I am going to call my Sunshine Patch. I think the Sunshine Cot scheme Is a very splendid idea. I hope you will have the £30 by Christmas. I am in the fourth standard at school. Hoping you are well, With love from LILY GROTH, aged 11.

Dear Lily, I have put your name on my roll, and in my birthday roll, so you see you are my niece now, and I hope you will prove as a willing a Sunshine-worker as many others I have in Subiaco, Kind regards Uncle Tom..."

During the year Lily wrote a lovely short story called 'A Christmas Story' and submitted it to the children's pages. The story was published on 18 January, 1908. There do not appear to be any more letters or submissions by Lily that were published after this time.  

The article and letter are from Trove, the database on the National Library of Australia. No copyright infringement intended. 


Daily News, 18 January 1908.

A CHRISTMAS STORY.

(By NIECE LILY GROTH, Aged 11, 33 Robinson-street, Subiaco.)

'It won't be a bit like Christmas,' said Dennis, gloomily, as he stood at the window of the little dining-room, and gazed across the snow-covered fields. 'No presents! No party, and no grand dinner! It will be a miserable time !' 

'Oh, Dennls, take care; don't let, mother hear you,' softly said Patty, a dark-haired child a year or two older than her brother. 'Poor mother, she all but cried to-day who she told us about the bank breaking, and said that we must try and save every penny we could; I know she is more disappointed than we are not to be able to give all the nice things we have always had for Christmas!' 

'Banks have no business to break at Christmas,' muttered Dennis; 'but the next minute he called out in quite a different tone, 'Oh, Patty, look! The Squire's gig is at our gate, and he's coming up the path with such a turkey, and, oh, such parcels!'

Dennis flew to tho door, closely followed by Patty, whilst the sad-faced mother, roused by the rapturous cries of Dennis, also came into tho little ivy-clad porch to see what good fairy wag caning such happy shouts. It was no fairy, wait the sturdy Squire bringing brightness into tho sad little household. 

Patty would have dragged him into the house, for the old gentleman was a great favorite at 'Ivy Cottage'; but he said was too busy to stop to-day. 'No, no, my dear,' he was saying as Mrs, Lenton came out, 'I have a great many visits to pay. Every one of my friends expects a Hall turkey, so I'll leave this on here, and be off.' 

Here he pushed the big turkey into Dennis's arms, and loaded Patty with presents. Then, wishing Mrs. Lenton a happy Christmas, he jumped Into the gig and drove off quickly along the road, not giving them time to thank him for his gifts. After all, it was Christmas time.

Stories From The Perth Children's Hospital (1930 - 1950).

Stories From The Perth Children's Hospital (1930 - 1950). The Perth Children's Hospital was built in 1909 on the corner of Hay and T...