Thursday 18 August 2022

The Love Family From Subiaco...(1927).

The Love Family From Subiaco...(1927).

Phyllis and Gwenyth Love first wrote letters to the Daily News newspaper from 1923 to 1926. The sisters were members of the Sunshine League who spread kindness and raised money for the Perth Children's Hospital. In 1927 their brother David followed in his sister's footsteps asked to become a member of the Sunshine League.   

The sisters wrote letters on a regular basis to Auntie Nell, the editor of the Children's Pages, entering competitions and donating stamps to the Sunshine Cot Fund at the Perth Children's Hospital. They shared aspects of their lives from childhood illnesses, to their education to school holidays and sent in their creative work. Gwenyth wrote short stories and poetry which were also published. 

Their father David Neil Love married their mother Nina Florence. Together they had three children Phyllis (1911), Gwenyth (1913) and David (1915). The family lived at 209 Hensman Road, Subiaco. He was a secretary and accountant for Messrs. F. H. Faulding and Co. Perth. The family were Presbyterian. 

Gwenyth and Phyllis joined the Sunshiners in 1923. Phyllis was 12 years old and Gwenyth was 11 years old. David was 12 years old and in the sixth standard in 1927. The children went to Subiaco State School. 

In October 1927, David wrote to Auntie Nell asking to become a member of the Sunshine League. Auntie Nell in her introduction letter makes special mention of David who was studying for a scholarship. At the end of the year the Sunday Times published the results and David had been successful in winning a scholarship to Perth Modern School. A photograph of David and the other winners from Subiaco State School is published below. 

Over the years Phyllis and Gwenyth entered essay competitions. They won prizes and special mentions. In October 1926 Gwenyth won an essay for the under 14 age group on Western Australia Flora, and Phyllis a special mention for the under 16 years on Western Australian Eucalyptus (Western Mail, 7 October 1926). During 1927 Gwenyth won a prize for the best essay for a child under 15 years on "What is good citizenship ?" for the Perth Guild Society (Daily News, 10 January 1927).

By June 1927 their father died after a short illness. An obituary published in the Daily News wrote that David died on 17 June 1927 at the age of 49 after a short illness. "...Deceased, aged 49 years, was born at Cairns, Queensland, and had resided in this State 26 years. For many years he held the position of accountant and secretary with, the firm of Messrs. F. H. Faulding and Co., where his earnest attention to duties and quiet, manly disposition, made for him many friends. Only a week before his death he was in attendance at the office, and his rather sudden end cast a gloom over his circle...(Daily News, 24 June 1927). Nine Florence Love died on 22 July 1978 at 93 years of age. She was also buried at Karrakatta Cemetery. 

By 1927 Gwenyth was studying at Perth Modern School and her love writing continued. In 1930 Gwenyth received special mention in the Daily News newspaper for her contribution of the school newspaper..."THE 'SPHYNX ' Credit to P.M.S. Students. We have received a copy of the December issue of 'The Sphynx,' official magazine at Perth Modern School. Edited and managed entirely by the students, the publication is & fine example of what & school magazine may be. Among other features are sporting reviews of the preceding term, personal chatter, Faculty news, and advice to departing students. Joint editorial credit goes to Miss Gwenyth Love and Mr. Micheal Bromell. 

Included among other features of the magazine is a memorial to the late Mr. W. Gardham, whose death took place on the second last day of tha preceding term. The late Mr. Gardham was a foundation member of the staff, and had been attached to the mechanical drawing department since 1911. The issue is blue paper covered, with attractive P.M.S. insignia, ths Sphynx gracing the front cover, and some effective photographic work on the inner pages. It Is well set up and printed by Frank Daniels." (Daily New, 23 December 1930).

The sister's letters provide a wonderful insight into the daily lives of young people at home and school. For example Gwenyth wrote about how the family celebrated Guy Fawkes night and her love of fireworks...."On Guy Fawke's night we had a big bonfire, and a good many fireworks, though we are sending some of our fireworks money to Mr. Rust for the orphans. We had a good time and did not get to bed till after 10 o'clock and even then we had some crackers and electric sparklers left..."(Daily News, 14 November 1925).

In another letter in 1924 Gwenyth wrote about her mother implemented behaviour management to get the children to not leave their sand shoes around.  "...Mummy has instituted a pound for when we leave our surfers or sand shoes lying about. If they get in the pound we can't have for a week. Mine have been in twice, but Mummy has on both occasions let off the penalty, but she says she is going to be firm in future..." (Daily News, 18 October 1924.

Of particular interest is a letter by Phyllis stating that she had some help with the puzzles and let Auntie Nell know which ones she had received help on..."Mother helped me a bit with some of "F's". Is it fair for mother and father to help me in the puzzles ?  I will mark those that she told by a cross..."(Daily News, 16 January 1926). Her honesty is commended. 

There is a photograph of David Love who won a scholarship to Perth Modern School in 1927.





The articles are from Trove, the database of National Library of Australia. No copyright infringement intended.

Gwenyth and Phyllis Love (209 Hensman-road, Subiaco) "Dear Auntie Nell, - As become one of you nieces, my sister Phyllis also wishes to become one. We both wish to become Sunshiners, and enclose 5d in stamps for the Cot...Next week I may send you a poem, which I wrote, for I cannot send it now, because I lost it, but it is found now, although I have not got it..." (Daily News, 23 July 1923). 

Phyllis Love (209 Hensman Road, Subiaco). "Dear Auntie Nell, - Have you wondered why I don't write to you? Well, it is because I have not had much to tell you about, and, besides, I am working for the scholarship exam, and we have been getting a lot of home work lately, so if we had not had a holiday today I would not be writing to you now. Are you not glad that we are getting some nice sunny weather instead of that which we have been having lately? Well, we ought not to despise the rain, for without it our plants would not grow, and I am sure non of would like that, as there would be no flowers or vegetables...I enclose 2d for the Cot." (Daily News, 13 October 1923).

Gwenyth Love (209 Hensman-road, Subiaco). "...Have not these two days been very hot, auntie ? It almost seems as though summer is leaving no time for spring. I greatly enjoyed reading your letter concerning Norway. I especially noticed Gavin Fowler's letter, for although I have a few stamps they are not of much value, but I know who does collect so I wrote to her telling about it, and sending her for Gavin's letter. Wishing you and the Sunshine Cot every success...Please find enclosed 2d for the Sunshine Cot...(Daily News, 13 October 1923).

Gwenyth Love (209 Hensman Road, Subiaco). "I suppose you think I am an ungrateful girl since I have not written since I won a prize, but I have been very busy indeed making Christmas presents. I read the prize as soon as soon as I received it, and enjoy reading it very much. I cut the puzzle, and the answer, and past them in the back of it. I am going down to Cottesloe for the holidays, and expect to enjoy myself. I think this will be the last time I will be able to write before Christmas, so "A Merry Christmas" and "A Happy New Year" to you. I must close now, with lots of love - From your loving niece. Gwenyth Love." (Daily News, 22 December 1923).

Phyllis Love (209 Hensman-road, Subiaco). "...It is long time since I wrote to you for we have been down at Cottesloe, but as we have now come home again I am going to try and write regularly. I am in a hurry to paint the picture for the competition for which I am entering. With lots of love to you and all the Sunshiners (Daily News, 2 February 1924). 

Phyllis Love (209 Henman-street, Subiaco) "...Yesterday we went to F.H. Faulding and Co's picnic at Point Walter, and had great fun. We went over in Valfrida at 9.30 a.m. and at 7.45 p.m. the Valdana came to take us for a cruise to Gage Roads and then back to Perth...(Daily News, 8 March 1924). 

Gwenyth Love (203 Hensman-road, Subiaco) "... I think I told you before that we are having the Dalton system at our school (Subiaco) and I as I expect you would like to know, I will tell you about it. Each teacher takes one subject, and at the beginning of every month gives out papers (called assignments) on which the work we have to do during that month. We have monthly test, and are given grades for them, A, B, C, D, beginning with A. These grades are put in our record books, which show how we have done during the month. If we finish our assignment before the end of the month, we can do extra work, so you can see why I have been so busy. 

Phyllis and I are going to join the Girl Guides soon. One of the teachers at our school has started one lot and is soon going to start another...I left off there to write a story to send in to you, and I had not time to finish the letter before we went to the Zoo. I had a ride on Poon or Choom. I don't know which, but it wasn't Mahay. I am sending a story and poem, both of which I wrote myself, and I would be very, very glad it you could print them this Saturday..." (Daily News, 6 September 1924).

Gwenyth Love (109 Hensman-road, Subiaco). "...Mummy has instituted a pound for when we leave our surfers or sand shoes lying about. If they get in the pound we can't have for a week. Mine have been in twice, but Mummy has on both occasions let off the penalty, but she says she is going to be firm in future...We all went to the challenge match at the Perth Oval yesterday, and Subiaco won easily, as perhaps you know. We were barracking for Subiaco, as would be expected seeing we live there. Daddy was afraid at first that Easts would win, and it rained all morning, and if the ball was greasy and the ground we two of Subiaco's strong points-marking and ground work - would be spoiled. However, the weather was all right, and so was Suby..." (Daily News, 18 October 1924).

Gwenyth Love (209 Hensman-road, Subiaco). "...I am 11 years old, and my birthday is on June 4..." (Daily News, 25 October 1924).

Phyllis Love (209 Hensman-road, Subiaco). "...We have just had two weeks' holiday, and have had great fun. We went to the South Mole and to the North Mole twice. At the South Mole we found a lot quiet pools, where there was some stuff like coral growing...I had better stop now, since mother says I must set the table...I wil be 14 next birthday, so you might as well count me as 14. I enclose 1s for the cot fund..." (Daily News, 7 September 1925)

Gwenyth Love (209 Hensman-road, Subiaco). "Dear Auntie Nell, - I am sorry I have not written for such a long time, but I have been working for the scholarship exam. That is nearly over now, so I hope to write more regularly in the future. I hope all the other Sunshiners who went up this year got on well. I am entering for the competitions for October 17 and 24. You will find the answers on a separate sheet. I went to the Royal Show on Thursday afternoon and went on the aeroplanes and the merry-go-round. What I like best - I don't mean side show - was the horticulture. Some of the carnations were beautiful, and so were the roses..." (Daily News,  24 October 1925).

Gwenyth Love (209 Hensman-Road, Subiaco). "Dear Aunty Nell,- Thank you very much for my lovely prize....Inspector Clubb has been at our school during the past week, but my class has not been examined yet, though it will be on Monday or Tuesday. On Guy Fawke's night we had a big bonfire, and a good many fireworks, though we are sending some of our fireworks money to Mr. Rust for the orphans. We had a good time and did not get to bed till after 10 o'clock and even then we had some crackers and electric sparklers left. 

One of my favourite sorts of fire works is the electric sparkler. I think they are beautiful, with stars and sparks flying out of them. We often chase each other with them, and have great fun in that way. Wouldn't it be interesting to know how they make fireworks, so that sparks come out of some, stars out of some some, and colored balls out of others. In one of the letters in the Children's Page I saw a suggestion that you should have a story competition. I would like that very, much as I am fond of writing stories and would love to gain a prize for it...P.S. Please find enclosed 3 d for Cot Fund..."(Daily News, 14 November 1925). 

Phyllis Love (209 Hensman-road, Subiaco). "...We went down to Cottesloe and had a lovely time. I got quite a lot of presents. Don't you think this paper and envelope are pretty Auntie? They were part of one of my Christmas presents. Gwen and I had a Christmas tree and competitions (with prizes) for the grown-ups...Is it fair for mother and father to help me in the puzzles ? Mother helped me a bit with some of "F's". I will mark those that she told by a cross. The idea of a duck's not being about to swim certainly seems incredible. I do a good bit of swimming and am preparing for the bronze and silver medal for life-savings. I got my proficiency for life saving...(Daily News, 16 January 1926).

David Love (209 Hensman-road, Subiaco). "I hope you will enrol me as one of your Sunshiners. We get "The Daily News" every Saturday, and I take a great interest in the Children's Page. I was twelve year old last July, and I am trying for a scholarship this year. I am sending the Railway Station puzzle and the Crossword puzzle, and I hope they are right, Also a penny-halfpenny for your cot fund. With loss of love and kisses." (Daily News, 15 October 1927).


Daily News, 6 September 1924.

RUTH'S SECRET.

'Ruth' said Mrs. Conolly, one morning at the breakfast table, as she glanced at a letter in her hands, 'Grandpa wants you to go and stay with him three or four days. Really, I don't see why, for I can't say that you behaved well on your last visit and besides it's either Meta's or Kathleen's turn to go. 'Ruth immediately jumped up and clapped her hands, but Meta exclaimed hotly, 'Oh, it isn't fair; it isn't fair ! 

This is the second time that the naughty child has gone out of her turn. Kathleen's much much better than her, too, and I'm sure she's worse than me. Oh, it isn't fair ! she cried again. 'Hush, dear, hush' gently Interposed her elder sister Kathleen. 'It's Grandpa's choice, you know, not ours. And you couldn't have gone last time, for you had measles, and it isn't very nice to go on like this. Come on outside for a little while,' she added, on seeing that Meta was still very wrathful. 

What Kathleen said to 'her sister is not known, but Meta returned with red eyes and was quite kind to Ruth until her departure. Ruth was radiantly happy when she went, and on her return her sisters were greatly sur prised to see her walk soberly across the platform, instead of bounding towards them with the usual vivacity of her eight years. They were still more astonished to see on her wrist a silver bracelet with some Latin words written inside it 'Wherever did you get it ? said Kathleen and Meta together, looking at the bracelet 'Grandpa gave it to me,' was the re ply. 'What for?' queried Meta. 'Oh, I can't tell you that,' and though they begged her all the way home to tell them she refused. 

Ruth had a long talk with her mother on her arrival, and when she appeared at last she went straight up to her bedroom and put her things tidily away. From that day onward Ruth seemed a different child. She was considerate, obedient, and polite, but Meta and Kathleen were puzzled. They wondered why Ruth's letters to Grandpa were so frequent, and were exceedingly curious as to the con tents of a small note book which she carried. Also when Grandpa came out one day on a surprise visit to them, she had been talking to him, in her bedroom, for quite half an hour, and the sisters could not imagine what she could have to say. 

Meta oven organised a secret society to 'track the secret to its lair,' but it did not succeed. At last one day Meta was very rude to her younger sister, because of her secret, and having 'said her say' took refuge in the garden. Ruth and Kathleen came to seek her, and when they found her Ruth began: 'I've come to tell you my secret, Meta dear, and ask you if you'd like to be in it.' Meta immediately sat up. 'Well go on!' she said. 'When I went to Grandpa's about six months ago, he told me that I was not behaving very nicely,' continued Ruth, 'and that why he had wanted me particularly was to ask me to try to be bet ter. 

He made it quite interesting, and said that we would be the Society of Consideration for Others. Then he produced four of these bangles (the Latin moans 'Do, as you would be done by') and said they were our badges, and that though for the first six months there would be only two in it, I could ask you afterwards to join. Yesterday he sent me these, (bringing on two more bracelets) and told to tall you about it. The letters were telling him of my progress, and the note book was for the same and the effect of the society on you, Kath and Meta. Now if you would like to join well go inside and arrange everything. How about it ? Are you going to be members?' 'Of course !' ejaculated Kathleen. 'Rather!' cried Meta. (The end.) Gwenyth Love.


Stories From The Perth Children's Hospital (1930 - 1950).

Stories From The Perth Children's Hospital (1930 - 1950). The Perth Children's Hospital was built in 1909 on the corner of Hay and T...