Tuesday 9 August 2022

Subiaco Sunshiners...A Year in the Life (1924). (Part A)

Subiaco Sunshiners...A Year in the Life (1924). (Part A)

One of the subjects I love researching and writing about is the Sunshiners or children who were members of the Sunshine League co-ordinated by the Daily News newspaper. This post is a continuation of those previous posts. 

I love reading the letters that were published from the children who wrote to Uncle Tom and Auntie Nell the editors of the children's pages. The children entered the competitions, won prizes, made donations to the Perth Children's Hospital, raised money and shared aspects of their lives in letters that were published. While many children only wrote once, many wrote multiple times overs the years providing a wonderful insight into their daily lives.

One young person Mary Scott who lived at 69 Lawler-street, Subiaco wrote about the current teaching methods at Subiaco State School in 1924. "...At the Subiaco Senior School, which I attend, Mr. Lewellyn, the headmaster is experimenting with a new system with VI and VII classes. In this system every teacher takes a certain subject and prints a number of assignments for the month. These papers are given out to us, and we have an assignment for every important subject. When given these papers we are free to go to any we choose. Some teachers wish to give lessons or tests to certain classes. They therefore place a notice on the notice board stating what class they want, and when to come their rooms. So you see I am very busy that way. When the  squadron was here our school went on the Repulee which is a very stately ship..."(Daily News, 29 March 1924).

In another letter Mary's sister Peggy wrote to Auntie Nell about how she and her sisters got into trouble on a recent outing to Nedlands and staying out late. "...Last Saturday Mary, Barbara, Joyce and I went to Nedlands in the afternoon. We came home very late, after 7 o'clock, so father said we cannot go any more..."(Daily News, 29 March 1924).




Another young person Lettie Sefton, aged 12 who lived at "Bolwarra" at 30 Federal-street, Subiaco wrote about the concert she and friends had performed and the money they had raised for the Perth Children's Hospital... "Dear Auntie Nell. - On January 19 a few friends and myself - we wer seven in number -held a small concert at Mr. Gilwhite's residence in Lawler-street, Subiaco. To us it was a success and we wish the proceeds, 12 s, which you find enclosed as a postal order, to go to the Sunshine Cot. Aussured that you will accept our small gift, - I remain, yours sincerely, LETTIE SEFTON, aged 12 sec.; M. GILWHITE, aged 13. pre.; M. SCOTT, aged 13 (v.pres.); P. SCOTT, aged 11 (tres.); A.SHAND, aged 11 (asst. tres.) ; B. SCOTT, aged 9 (asst. sec.) ; JOYCE SCOTT, aged 4..."(Daily News, 23 February 1924).




The articles are from Trove the database of the National Library of Australia. No copyright infringement intended.  

Ken Chatley (aged 10) (88 Rokeby Road, Subiaco) "...I have a few hobbies that I would like to tell you about. The first is stamps, of which I have six hundred different kinds, both foreign and British. The second is fretwork, which I like very much..." (Daily News, 5 January 1924).

Dorothy Kidson (age 7) (9 Seddon-street, Subiaco). "...I am very pleased to say that we are working very hard at school for a new piano. I hope we are going to have fine weather for the Show..." (Daily News, 5 January 1924).

Thelma Austin (aged 13) (16 Coolgardie-street, Subiaco). "...I am glad you liked my drawing, and will send you another as soon as I can. Haven't we had lovely weather Auntie ? I hope it lasts. I am not going away for my holidays, but we often go the baths and have plenty of fun..." (Daily News, 19 January 1924).

Thelma Austin (aged 13) (16 Coolgardie-street, Subiaco). "...I am just writing a short letter this week to say how I was to know that I had won a prize...we are getting a bit of summer weather now aren't we auntie ? But I don't mind it a bit, because we often go swimming..." (Daily News, 26 January 1924).

Netty Cooper (aged 8) ("Hilton" 26 Subiaco-Road, Subiaco)."...Auntie, don't the holidays go quickly when you are enjoying yourself !...(Daily News, 2 Feb 1924).

Lettie Sefton (aged 12) ("Bolwarra") 30 Federal-street, Subiaco). "Dear Auntie Nell. - On January 19 a few friends and myself - we wer seven in number -held a small concert at Mr. Gilwhite's residence in Lawler-street, Subiaco. To us it was a success and we wish the proceeds, 12 s, which you find enclosed as a postal order, to go to the Sunshine Cot. Aussured that you will accept our small gift, - I remain, yours sincerely, LETTIE SEFTON, aged 12 sec.; M. GILWHITE, aged 13. pre.; M. SCOTT, aged 13 (v.pres.); P. SCOTT, aged 11 (tres.); A.SHAND, aged 11 (asst. tres.) ; B. SCOTT, aged 9 (asst. sec.) ; JOYCE SCOTT, aged 4..." (Daily News, 23 February 1924).

Eileen C. Gowans (61 Austin-street, Subiaco). "Dear Auntie Nell, - I have very little news this week. I must thank you for putting my letter in so soon. I did not expect it to be in the paper until next Saturday. I am enclosing the answer to the Riddle-me-ree ; I think it is correct. - I remain your loving niece...P.S. I am enclosing 2d. for the cot fund." (Daily News, 22 March 1924).

Lettie Sefton ("Bolwarra" 30 Federal-street, Subiaco). "Dear Auntie Nell. - You must thank Bill Kann for me for sending me such a nice book for my prize. It arrived yesterday, and was quite a pleasant surprise. We went to Darlington for the day, up to an orchard. It was lively up there, and we did not notice the best, we were so busy eating figs and other fruits. Just before tea we had our photos taken. I hope they came out nicely..." (Daily News, 10 March 1924).

Muriel Gilwhite (42 Lawler-street, Subiaco). "I wish to become one of your nieces. As I have no relations in Australia, and have never seen them or they me, I should be pleased to join your band of happy Sunshiners. I was 13 last birthday..." (Daily News, 22 March 1924). 

Mary Scott (aged 13) (69 Lawler-street, Subiaco). "Dear Auntie Nell. - This is my first letter to you and I hope you will accept me as one of your many Sunshiners. I am just 13, and I have gone in for the competition for March 8... (Daily News, 8 March 1924).

Barbara Scott (69 Lawler-street, Subiaco). "Dear Auntie Nell, - I am now becoming one of your many Sunshiners. I am not 10 yet, I am 91/2, so I shall not be able to enter a competition this week. I have not any more news to tell you, so I shall close...(Daily News, 8 March 1924).

Peggy Scott (69 Lawler-street, Subiaco) "...Last Saturday Mary, Barbara, Joyce and I went to Nedlands in the afternoon. We came home very late, after 7 o'clock, so father said we cannot go any more. I was eleven last, and will soon be twelve..." (Daily News, 29 March 1924).

Muriel Gilwhite (41 Lawler-street, Subiaco). "...Tomorrow (Monday) my little niece is coming to see me. She can only say "dad, dad, dad," but I hope she will soon be able to say more than that. When we go down to stay at my brother's place next Christmas, as we hope to do, Laurel is going to be put in the water if it is hot enough..." (Daily News, 29 March 1924).

Mary Scott (69 Lawler-street, Subiaco). "...At the Subiaco Senior School, which I attend, Mr. Lewellyn, the headmaster is experimenting with a new system with VI and VII classes. In this system every teacher takes a certain subject and prints a number of assignments for the month. These papers are given out to us, and we have an assignment for every important subject. When given these papers we are free to go to any we choose. Some teachers wish to give lessons or tests to certain classes. They therefore place a notice on the notice board stating what class they want, and when to come their rooms. So you see I am very busy that way. When the  squadron was here our school went on the Repulee which is a very stately ship..."(Daily News, 29 March 1924).

Thelma Austen (aged 13) (16 Coolgardie-street, Subiaco). "...Subiaco seemed all hurry and bustle this afternoon due to the elections. I thought that Ray M'Clintock's essay was the best of the three winners last week..." (Daily News, 29 March 1924).

Ernest Illingworth (aged 14) (207 Roberts-rd, Subiaco). "...I was 14 last January, and I am left-handed in writing..." (Daily News, 29 March 1924).

Ernest Illingworth (aged 14) (207 Roberts-road, Subiaco). "Dear Auntie Nell, - I was please to see my letter in print, but although I was disappointed that I hadn't won a prize but I have not given up hope, and always try, try, try again. My brother was unlucky enough to be put in hospital last week, and I have the misfortune of not being able to go and see him, as he has fever. My sister has an old typewriter, and we type all our letters to him...I have enclosed 3d for the Cot Fund..." (Daily News, 12 April 1924).

Lettie Sefton (aged 12) ("Bolwarral" 30 Federal-street, Subiaco). "...Last week I went to see the two plays, "Julius Caesar" and "The Tempest." They were both beautiful plays, but I preferred the latter. In comparison with "The Tempest" "Julius Caesar" is very heavy and difficult to understand for while one is comical and fairy like, the other is serious. The school term is nearly, and I am doing extra studying, for the term examination is very close at hand. The students of our school all clubbed together and bought a gramophone, and we have some pretty records for it..." (Daily News, 12 April 1924).

Elsie Smith (aged 11) (c/o Mrs. Oliver, 74 Gloster-street, Subiaco). "...I am in the third standard, but I am afraid I am not a very good scholar, as I have had a lot of sickness, which has kept me back..." (Daily News, 12 April 1924).

Thelma Austen (aged 14) (368 Rokeby-road, Subiaco). "...I am enclosing 3d for the cot fund, also a drawing which I hope you will like. We are just about settled in our new house and I like it very much..." (Daily News, 19 April 1924).

Thelma Austen (aged 14) (368 Rokeby-road, Subiaco). "...I was glad to see that Beryl Rann won a prize this week, as she is one of my friends, and has made many fruitless attempts. I enjoyed reading "The Technical Rat" as I love school stories. Haven't we had funny weather, Auntie, but I am glad it has rained, as everything has freshened up..." (Daily News, 19 April 1924).

Mollie Clairs (aged 12) (8 May-avenue, Subiaco). "...I am interested in the children's page in "The Daily News," which my father brings home every night. Thomas-street school is the one I attend, and it is very nice. I am enclosing 3d in stamps for the cot fund...(Daily News, 10 May 1924).

Lettie Septon ("Bolwarra" 30 Federal-street, Subiaco). "...I have been kept busy since the exams, and I really haven't had time to write. Tomorrow night we are going to the pictures to see Jackie Coogan in "Circus Days". We went see that beautiful picture "The Country Kid." It was quite a relief to have a warm day again, after the las few cold ones. I hope it is such a day on Thursday, for we are going to Mahogany Creek for the day with some friends..." (Daily News, 24 May 1924). 

Dorothy Kidson (aged 8) (287 Barker-road, Subiaco). "...On Sunday I went for a motor drive, which was very nice. Auntie, I had a lovely time at the ball. I went as "Robin Hood" and you will be pleased to hear I won a prize. The ball was in aid of the Girl Guides..." (Daily News, 21 June 1924).

Patricia (Pat) Donegan (63 Rupert-street, Subiaco). "...I am enclosing 3d for the Cot Fund. My brother had a birthday party, and mother decorated the table with Scout colors. I made up a little piece of poetry and it is called the "Flowers"..." (Daily News, 21 June 1924).

The editions of the Children's Pages in the Daily News in 1924 are filled with wonderful drawings by the children. This one is from Erica Hall of South Perth (Daily News, 1 March 1924).






Stories From The Perth Children's Hospital (1930 - 1950).

Stories From The Perth Children's Hospital (1930 - 1950). The Perth Children's Hospital was built in 1909 on the corner of Hay and T...