Sunday 14 August 2022

Subiaco Sunshiners...A Year In The Life. (1924) (Part B July to December).

Subiaco Sunshiners...A Year in The Life. (1924) (Part B July to December).

One of the subjects I love researching and writing about is the Sunshiners or children who were members of the Sunshine League coordinated by the Daily News newspaper. This post is a continuation of the previous post from 1924. 

I love reading the letters that were published from the children who wrote to Uncle Tom and Auntie Nell the editors of the children's pages. The children entered the competitions, won prizes, made donations to the Perth Children's Hospital, raised money and shared aspects of their lives in letters that were published. While many children only wrote once, many wrote multiple times overs the years providing a wonderful insight into their daily lives.

In 1924 many children from Subiaco wrote to Auntie Nell wanting to join the Sunshine League as a niece or nephew and shared aspects of their lives. The children loved having their letters and creative work published in the newspaper. I have enclosed two examples from Ethel Troy and Victoria Davis.  

Gwenyth Love (109 Hensman-road, Subiaco) was 11 years old and wrote about the daily aspects of her and her families' life like going to the football. "...We all went to the challenge match at the Perth Oval yesterday, and Subiaco won easily, as perhaps you know. We were barracking for Subiaco, as would be expected seeing we live there. Daddy was afraid at first that Easts would win, and it rained all morning, and if the ball was greasy and the ground we two of Subiaco's strong points-marking and ground work - would be spoiled. However, the weather was all right, and so was Suby..." (Daily News, 18 October 1924).

The articles and drawings are from Trove, the national database of the National Library of Australia. No copyright infringement intended. 

Dorothy Kidson (Age 8 years) "I will have to thank you very much for the beautiful book you presented to me, and as I finish writing my letter I am going to commence my book. The Heralds of the King, to which I belong, are holding a bazaar in September, which I hope will be successful..." (Daily News, 5 July 1924).

Ava Turner (age 10 years) (42 Olive Street, Subiaco). "I was so pleased to see my name in the Children's Page this week, and that I am now one of your nieces. I always look forward to the paper on Saturday evenings, and I read all the jokes this week. I have tried again for the competition for July 5, and enclose a stamp for the Cot Fund. I will be 10 in four weeks' time..." (Daily News, 12 July 1924).

Ethel Tory (12 Keightly-road, Subiaco). "I was very excited to see my letter in the paper, and that I had won a prize for which I thank you very much...In the Christmas holidays I won two prizes for silk which I wound from the silk-worm cocoons I had last year. The Government then sent it to London for the Empire Exhibition, so I feel very please to think of it being there..." (Daily News, 19 July 1924). 

Victoria Davis (13 years) (12 Keightly-road Subiaco) "...I did not pass in my music exam. I got 90 marks, a pass was 100. I am entering for this week's competition. Although the drawing I have done looks easy but it is very hard. School broke up last Thursday, 21 and my sister Edwina and I are spending our holidays with our cousin, Ethel Tory. Last Saturday afternoon the school was taken to His Majesty's Theatre to hear the Westminister Glee Singers. I have never heard such good singing before, and I was very glad I went. I am 13 years old. Thank you very much for putting my letter in "The Daily News." I was pleased to see it there..." (Daily News, 12 July 1924).

Margaret Niblock (aged 12). "...I am glad to see that you have accepted me as one of your many nieces. Some of the stories for last week's competition were very amusing and interesting..." (Daily News, 30 August 1924).

Gwen Schoolar (72 Barker-road, Subiaco). "...I went up to the farm a few weeks ago, and enjoyed it very much. We went up to our orchard yesterday, and we got a big bunch of donkey orchids. This weather has been very nice lately. My sister has had a prize, so I am going to try and get one this week, as I have solved the answer to the Ace puzzle. Jean has got the measles and has been in bed for over a week, and I have to stay home from school as I have never had them...Please find 3d. for the cot fund enclosed..." (Daily News, 30 August 1924).

Nancy Davis (age 12 (126 Churchill-avenue, Subiaco) "...I was 12 on the 10th September, and I am in the sixth standard at school. Our holidays are now on, and I am going out nearly every day so I hope it will be fine weather. I think we have had enough rain...(Daily News, 30 August 1924). 

Ray Woods (111 Hay-street, Subiaco). "Dear Auntie Nell, - Some friends and I went to the Weir on Sunday: it was beautiful sight to see it overflowing. I am sending in this week's puzzle. - Your loving nephew...P.S. I enclose 3d stamp for the Cot Fund" (Daily News, 13 September 1924).

Hugh Smart (153 Heytesbury-road, Subiaco). "Dear Auntie Nell, - I would like to become a member of the Sunshine League. I was 12 years of age on August 3..." (Daily News, 13 Spetmeber 1924). 

Gwen Schoolar (12 Barker-road, Subiaco). "Dear Auntie Nell, - As I have measles Jean is writing for me. I have solved the Jumble Towns Puzzle, the answers to which you will find enclosed. I hope to go to the Zoo when I am better, so I my see the new elephants. I am enclosing 3d. for the Cot Fund..." (Daily News, 13 September 1924).




Victoria Davis (12 Keightley-road, Subiaco). "Dear Auntie Nell, - I was delighted to find last evening that I was one of the successful competitors for the drawing competition. You cannot imagine the excitement of Ethel and myself to see both our names as prize-winners. I liked the story call "Jack's Little Job" in last week's paper very much indeed, and I hope I won't miss any of it. I have been drawing a lot lately, and will be pleased to send a drawing sometimes to illustrate our page... P.S. Find enclosed stamps for the Cot Fund." (Daily News, 13 September 1924).

Mary J. Jones (117 Heytesbury-road, Subiaco) "Dear Auntie Nell. - This is my first letter to you, and I wish to become one of your many nieces. I am nine years old and in the third class at school. I go to the Rosalie School. I have two sisters and one brother, younger than myself. I am going for a music examination next Saturday,...P.S Enclosed please find 3d for Cot Fund." (Daily News 13 September 1924).

Ethel E. Troy (12 Keightly-road, Subiaco). "Dear Auntie Nell, - I was delighted to see my drawing in last night's paper. I received my prize on Saturday morning for which I thank you, and I like it very much as far as I have read. On Saturday night I got a camera. I have already take five snaps, and hope they will be a success, as it is my first attempt...Please find enclosed stamp for the Cot Fund." (Daily News, 20 September 1924).


Nancy Davis (126 Churchill-avenue, Subiaco). "Dear Auntie Nell, - Every week I improve on my puzzles, and last week I was right, but this time it is better still, and my answer is "swim" across the river...I am enclosing some riddles, also 1 1/2d in stamps for the Cot Fund...(Daily News, 20 September 1924).

Hugh Smart (aged 12) (153 Heytesbury-road, Subiaco). "...I am pleased that you accepted me as one of your nephews...I will close now with love to you and all the other Sunshiners..." (Daily News, 20 September 1924).

Gwenyth Love (203 Hensman-road, Subiaco) "... I think I told you before that we are having the Dalton system at our school (Subiaco) and I as I expect you would like to know, I will tell you about it. Each teacher takes one subject, and at the beginning of every month gives out papers (called assignments) on which the work we have to do during that month. We have monthly test, and are given grades for them, A, B, C, D, beginning with A. These grades are put in our record books, which show how we have go during the month. If we finish our assignment before the end of the month, we can do extra work, so you can see why I have been so busy. Phyllis and I are going to join the Girl Guides soon. One of the teachers at our school has started one lot and is soon going to start another...I left off there to write a story to send in to you, and I had not time to finish the letter before we went to the Zoo. I had a ride on Poon or Choom. I don't know which, but it wasn't Mahay. I am sending a story and poem, both of which I wrote myself, and I would be very, very glad it you could print them this Saturday..." (Daily News, 6 September 1924).

Nancy Davis (12 Keightley-road, Subiaco). "...My holidays I enjoyed very much. Every day except Monday I went out. To the Zoo on Wednesday, and I had a very good. I saw the elephants, but I would not go on their backs. On Tuesday I went to the Prince of Wales Picture Show, and it was a very good programme. Another day I went to a wireless concert, and another to Claremont in the tram..." (Daily News, 6 September 1924).






Victoria Davis (12 Keightley-road Subiaco). "Dear Auntie Nell.- I was very pleased to see my drawing in Saturday night's paper. I received my prize on Saturday morning, and I like it very much, although I haven't read very much. I am enter for the competition for September 13 and 20. "A cunning trick" in the last competition I found it very hard, but I solved it at last. Thank you very much for the prize. I am enclosing a stamp for the Cot Fund. With love Victoria Davis." (12 Keightley-road, Subiaco).

Ethel E. Tory (12 Keightley-road, Subiaco). "Dear Auntie Nell. - Thank you for putting my letter in the paper. My cousins, Victoria and Edwina are returned to boarding school today, after having such very pleasant holiday with us. My first half dozen snaps came out very nicely. I am entering for this week's competition...Please find enclosed stamp for the Cot Fund." (Daily News, 27 September 1924)

Phyllis M. Knight (119 Churchill-avenue, Subiaco). "...I am starting a scrap book. I am keeping all the Sunshine pictures, and I am calling it the Sunshine Scrap book. Don't you think it is a good idea ?..." (Daily News, 4 October 1924).

Ronald M'Laren (29 Kershaw-street, Subiaco). "...I am sending a riddle, which I made myself, and 3d. in stamps for the Cot Fund..." (Daily New, 4 October 1924). 

Olive Sumner (59 Gloster-street, Subiaco). "Dear Auntie Nell, - I have not written to you for such a long time, but my mother has been in the hospital. I have solved this week's Motor Puzzle, which I hope is correct. I have sent a few riddles. Enclosed please find 1 1/2d stamp for the Cot Fund..' (Daily News, 4 October 1924).

Pat Donegan ("Boyanie" 63 Rupert-street Subiaco). "...I am enclosing 3d. in stamps for the cot fund. I am also putting in a piece of poetry. It was an Australian nursery rhyme book that I got the poetry from. Its name is "Little Jika Jika..." (Daily News 11 October 1924)

Gwenyth Love (109 Hensman-road, Subiaco). "...We all went to the challenge match at the Perth Oval yesterday, and Subiaco won easily, as perhaps you know. We were barracking for Subiaco, as would be expected seeing we live there. Daddy was afraid at first that Easts would win, and it rained all morning, and if the ball was greasy and the ground we two of Subiaco's strong points-marking and ground work - would be spoiled. However, the weather was all right, and so was Suby..." (Daily News, 18 October 1924).

Ethel Tory (12 Keightley-road, Subiaco). "I have been spending a holiday at Mundaring. One day when we went out for a walk we met a big snake about seven feet long, lying curled up on a log. Another day we went to the weir, which was just trickling over the wall. Last Wednesday we went to the Show where I had a very pleasant time seeing the sheep, cattle, poultry, etc. I also went on Thursday, but it was too wet to seem much...(Daily News, 25 October 1924).

Gwenyth Love (209 Hensman-road, Subiaco). "...I am 11 years old, and my birthday is on June 4..." (Daily News, 25 Ocober 1924).

Phyllis Knight (119 Churchill-avenue, Subiaco). "...I would like to wish Daphne Pepper, one of my Sunshine cousins, many happy returns of the day. Wasn't the children's day at the Show disappointing? I intended going, but as it was so rough we had abandon the idea..." (Daily News, 25 October 1924).

Eileen Gowans (61 Austin-street, Subiaco). "...Have you been to see any of Allen Doone's plays ? I have been to see them all, and I liked them very much... I am enclosing 1 1/2 d. for the cot fund. I will be ten on the 16 th of November." (Daily New, 1 November 1924).

Adrian Sandercock (240 Hamersley-road, Subiaco). "...Today we motored to Cottesloe Beach, and owing to it being so stormy we were not able to go along the beach..." (Daily News, 1 November 1924).

Pat Donegan ("Boyanie" 63 Rupert-street, Subiaco). "...Mother, Judy, Peter and I are busy making baskets for the Church of England bazaar to be held soon. It makes my mouth water to thinks what they will be like when they are filled with sweets..." (Daily News, 1 November 1924).

Lesley O'Toole (167 Hay-street, Subiaco). "...I was 13 early in this month and would like to join you happy band of nieces and nephews the Sunshiners. Your page has had a special interest for me quite a long time, and now that I am to become one of your many nieces I am sure that it will appeal to me even more. I am enclosing my answers to this week's competition also a 11/2d. stamp for the Cot Fund..." (Daily News, 8 November 1924).

George Staples (106 York-street, Subiaco). "...I am 11 years of age, and as I am in sixth class I am preparing for a scholarship which will come off next year..." (Daily News, 8 November 1924).

E. R. Tory (12 Keightley-road, Subiaco). "...I have not written to you for a long time, as I have been staying in Narrogin, where I had a very enjoyable time driving about in the sulky. Today we spent a very pleasant day in town among the toys..." (Daily News, 20 December 1924).

V. M. C. Davis (12 Keightley-road Subiaco) "...Our school broke up last Wednesday. We had a French play called "Le Petite Chaperon Rough". I got two prizes - the form prize and music prize. I got "Selected Poems of Alfred Tennyson" for the form prize and "Captain Club" for the music prize. I am skipping a class next year and going into 5A..." (Daily News, 20 December 1924)

E. T. Tory (12 Keightley-road, Subiaco) "...For Christmas I am going to Serpentine, where I always spend a very enjoyable holiday..." (Daily News, 27 December 1924).

Laurie Bantock (59 Coghlan-road Subiaco)"...I am going to Cottesloe for my holidays, but we are not till after Christmas, for we like to home for Christmas Day..." (Daily News 27 December 1924)

 

Stories From The Perth Children's Hospital (1930 - 1950).

Stories From The Perth Children's Hospital (1930 - 1950). The Perth Children's Hospital was built in 1909 on the corner of Hay and T...