Tuesday 24 May 2022

Amy Fentiman, Sunshine League Member From Subiaco...(1908).

Amy Fentiman, Sunshine League Member From Subiaco...(1908). 

The Sunshine League and the children who were members are one of the most interesting aspects of research and writing a blog and have been the subject of previous blog posts. 

The children's letters published in the Daily News newspaper provide a wonderful insight into the daily lives of children and their contribution to the community, not only in Subiaco but also around Perth at the beginning of the 1900's. 

Many of the Sunshine League children lived in Subiaco and have been discussed in previous blog posts.  Amy Fentiman was a member of the Sunshine League who lived in Subiaco. In 1907 she was 13 years old. For most of her life Amy was sick and she spent considerable time in hospital although the exact nature of her illness was never discussed in the newspaper. 

Uncle Tom the co-ordinator of the Sunshine League explained the function in the Children's Pages in 1909..."The Sunshine League is steadily increasing in membership and by 1909 there were approximately 1500 members... 

The Sunshine League is absolutely undenominational. It embraces all creeds and nationalities, and no matter from what source the cry for charitable help comes the children respond to the best of their ability. It costs nothing to join; there are no membership fees to pay, and all money subscribed by the members is devoted to charity. The members have Sunshine Garden Patches, and they gather blooms and pay bright Sunshine visits and give Sunshine concerts to the inmates of the various institutions. Children wishing to become his 'nieces' and 'nephews' should address their letters 'Uncle Tom,' 'The Daily News' office, Perth (Daily News, 23 January, 1909). 

The Fentiman Chart 312 states the Fentiman family came from England (terrys.org.uk/chart/f/fenti312.htm). Arthur William Fentiman was born on 30 August, 1860. Arthur's occupation was a tailor. He married Sarah Elizabeth Amy Garrod on 19 June 1880. Sara was born on 19 June 1880. Her occupation was listed as home duties. Together they had eight children, Sydney (1882), William (1883), Cyril (1885), Harold (1887), Daisy (1889), Gladys (1891), Amy (1894), Grace (1887). 

At some stage the Fentiman family migrated to Australia. By 1907 the family had settled in Perth (Daily News, 1907) and by 1911 resided in Perth Street, Subiaco as there is a Mrs. A. W. Fentiman registered in the WA Post Office Directories. Auntie Nell who took over the Children's Pages stated that Amy's address was 280 Perth Street, Subiaco for those interested in writing to her. During 1912 the family went to the eastern states and then came back to Perth where they obtained a house in Perth Street, Subiaco. They remained at the residence until Sara Fentiman's death in 1925 (WA Postal Directories).

As a member of the Sunshine League Amy organised and participated in many events to help raise money for the various causes supported by the Sunshine League and her family donated money. For most of her early life Amy Fentiman was sick although the specific nature of her illness was never published in the newspaper. 

In 1907 Amy was a resident at Lady Lawley Cottage-by-the-Sea. Uncle Tom mentions Amy Fentiman in an article about his visit to organise a fund raising event. Lady Lawley Cottage-by-the-Sea was established in Cottesloe in 1903 to provide "respite and convalescent care for sick and recovering children, and care for children with disabilities. These children were placed in the Cottage by both their families and by welfare authorities..." (Find and Connect webpage). 

Uncle Tom wrote about his visit... "AT THE HOME. Last Friday evening I paid a surprise visit to the Lady Lawley Cottage-by-the-Sea in order to make preliminary arrangements for opening the 'Sunshine Cot'. There were only two patients - Reggie Miller and Amy Fentiman - and I left both of them a large book and some chocolates. I had intended putting the presents under their pillows but as they were both wide awake I left them with the matron who, as you will see from the letters which Reggie and Amy sent me during the week, carried out my directions. I am more than ever satisfied after my latest visit that you are doing the right thing in helping me to raise £30 for a Cot at the Home. There are parents who cannot afford to pay even the small amount weekly charged by the committee , and our Cot will be a great boon to the many poor children who will occupy it throughout the year..." (Daily News, 26 October 1907).

In December 1907 Amy wrote to Uncle Tom about the opening of the Sunshine Cot at the Lady Lawley's Cottage-by-the-Sea and to thank him for the gifts... "c/o Lady Lawley's Cottage-by-the-Sea, Cottesloe Beach. Dear Uncle Tom, You asked me if I would be down here on the day of the opening. Well, uncle I am very glad to say that I will. We had grand times on Saturday and Sunday. Some new sunshine-makers came from Fremantle; they had not been before, but they were very nice indeed. Dear uncle, I always try to do the best I can to welcome the Sunshine-makers when they come, and I always make a good friend. I have a nice little friend now; her name is Jessie, she and I am very fond of her, and I think she is of me. I will close now, with fond lover to you. - I remain your loving niece AMY FENTIMAN, aged 13. P.S Dear uncle, I thank you very much for that nice packet of chocolate and so also does the little boy who has not been in the Cottage. A.F..." (Daily News, 7 December 1907).

In 1908 Amy became seriously ill and was confined to St. Omer Hospital in West Perth. Uncle Tom encouraged the Sunshine League members to visit Amy in hospital. Uncle Tom shared the news of Amy's illness in his column to the Sunshine League in 1909...

"...I have heard a piece of very bad news during the week. Those of you who were present when the Sunshine Cot was unveiled at the Cottage-by-Sea will remember a little girl named Amy Fentiman singing (in character), a Japanese fan song. Latter on she helped to organise a bright little Sunshine Concert at the same institution, and in many ways she has proved herself a bright Sunshine-maker. But for the next 18 months to two years she must remain in bed, a serious surgical operation having just been performed on her. Here is a chance for those of you who desire to shed some rays of sunshine into dark places to do so. Amy is at St. Omer Hospital, Havelock-street West Perth (opposite the Observatory) and occasional visits will brighten her saddened life and help her to bear up under her heavy affliction. In the past she has done unto other as she would be done to and has thoroughly earned the kindly care and attention which you may bestow on her. I have arranged to visit her, and I shall be pleased to hear when any of you will do likewise..." (Daily News, 20 November 1909).

The children of Perth regularly asked about Amy over the years and their visits were reported via their letters to Uncle Tom and Aunty Nell who took over the column when Uncle Tom left the Daily News. 

Daphne Pyett from 57 York-street Subiaco wrote about her visits to Amy Fentiman in 1910... "Dear Uncle Tom. - I was please to read in "The Daily News" what a success you picnic was. I would like to have been able to help you, but baby was not well, and as mother did not like to take him out in the hear, I stayed home. I go and see Amy as much as I can, and take her a book every time. I hope you had a merry Christmas, and wish you a bright New Year. I think I must close my shore letter - I remain, you loving niece DAPHNE PYETT, aged 10. PS. Amy said she wrote a letter to you, and I hope you received in all right. - D.P.

Uncle Tom responded "Dear Daphne. -  You did quite right to stay at home with your mother and baby. It was oppressively hot at the Zoo, and the heat robbed our guests and others of a lot of pleasure. I am glad you visit Amy Fentiman at St. Omer Hospital, Havelock-street, West Perth, and I would like other nieces to do the same; it brightens the little girl to see the smiling face of a Sunshine-maker.- Uncle Tom." (Daily News, 8 Jan 1910). 

Daphne Pyett wrote to Auntie Nell about her visits to Amy when she took over the Children's Pages in 1910... "Dear Auntie Nell. - Thank you very much for the nice prize, which I received safely. I was pleased to see by the paper last Saturday that I had won another pize on "My Favourite Book." I have read nearly all the "Elsie Books" except "Elsie's Widowhood." My Sunshine work is going to see my little friend Amy Fentiman. I lent her my prize "The Little Russian." I remain, your loving piece. DAPHNE PYETT..." (Daily News, 6 August 1910). 

In 1910 Tottie Minchin wrote "Dear Auntie Nell, - I am sending you three shillings, which is the contents of my Orphans Christmas Cheer money box...Do you know if Amy Fentiman is still in St. Omer Hospital. I sent her her a postcard the other day...(Daily News, 10 September, 1910) Auntie Nell responded... "...Yes Amy Fentiman is still in the hospital - poor little girlie. I visited her on Sunday week, and found her very bright and happy. She has been lying on her back for nearly twelve months and will, I am afraid to be obliged to stay there for some time to come. She was asking about you...Yours lovingly Auntie Nell." (Daily News, 19 September 1910).

In April 1911 Tottie Minchin ("Pent Lyn" Balkuling, via York) asked Aunty Nell about Amy..." Dear Aunty Nell...Do you know how Amy Fentiman is getting on ? I suppose this changeable weather does no agree with her very well..." Aunty Nell responded..."...The last I heard of Amy she was improving. She is always very bright and cheerful, despite the fact she has been lying in bed for for 12 months..." (Daily News, 8 April 1910)

In August 1911 Tottie Minchin asked after Amy... "Dear Auntie Nell, - I was pleased to see that the Sunshine concert was so successful, although it was such a rainy evening...I am sending a little poem to you, which I think is pretty. I often find nice little pieces in magazines. I suppose you will soon commence collecting for the Orphans' Christmas Cheer now. I hope the nieces, will arrange a lot of bazaars, so that I may help by sending some thing for the fancy stall. I had such a nice letter from Amy Fentiman today, and she told me that she is allowed to be raised up a little every day for ten minutes; that would be so nice for her. I will close now with love from Douglas and myself. - Your affectionate niece, TOTTIE MINCHIN. 

Aunty Nell responded to Tottie... "Dear Tottie, — I thought you would enjoy Fred's account of the Sunshine concert given at Claremont...It was really a delightful concert, and the old men were loud in their praises and enthusiasm of the evening's entertainment The nephews' concert promises to be something specially fine, and quite original. I am so very glad to hear that Amy is now able to be raised a little. I do hope that in time she will be restored to health and strength once more. It is very good of you to want to help at the bazaars that may be arranged later on. I know your donations of pretty things will be gladly welcomed. With love to you all, dear, yours lovingly, Aunty Nell." (Daily News, 5 August, 1911).

In February 1912, Sunshine Member Pearl M'Gregor, aged 17 from Nungarin asked about Amy in her letter and where to write to her..."...Dear Aunty, do you know Amy Fentiman's address ? I hope she is quite well..." 

Aunty Nell provided an update in her response..."Amy's address is 280 Perth-street, Subiaco. She paid me a visit one day last week. I was pleased to see her: she was fairly well. The doctors say she must rest for a very long time yet, and that she take very great care of herself. I think she would be pleased to hear from you if you could find the time to write..." (Daily News, 17 February 1912). 

In May 1913 Tottie Minchin provided an update on Amy as she was back in hospital "P.S. - I saw where some of the nieces were asking which hospital Amy Fentiman is in as she did not go to the hospital after all, as the hospital her doctor wanted her to go into had no vacancies for open-air patients. She had a small operation without going into the hospital, and is I believe, as well now as she usually is. She is never really well and never will be. She has only lately returned from the Eastern States, where she went for the good of her health, but had to return home again, as she was feeling so ill. - T. Minchin (Daily News, 17 May 1913)..." 

Auntie Nell responded to Tottie... "What a splendid letter you write. I feel that you are quite a friend as well as a niece, and should like to meet you and your sister. Thank you, Tottie for telling me about your little nieces and nephews, and also for letting me know about Amy Fentiman. I myself was very anxious to know where she was, and hoped to hear from you. so that I could go to see her. I am pleased to hear that she is no worse. Will you give her my love when you see her and lots for yourself. Lovingly yours, Auntie Nell. "(Daily News, 17 May 1913).

The last mention of Amy in the Children's Pages of the Daily News newspaper was in 1913. Amy was now 18 an adult and too old to be a member of the Sunshine League. The Fentiman family history charts state that in 1916 Amy was living with their mother and sister Gladys and brother Harold at 280 Perth Street Subiaco. Her occupation was described as homemaker. She was not married at this time. The mother Sarah died in 1925 and the family vacated the house in Subiaco.  

The articles and photographs are from Trove the database at the National Library of Australia. No copyright infringement intended.  





The Daily News, 28 Dec 1907.

The unveiling of the Sunshine Cot attended by Amy Fentiman...





Stories From The Perth Children's Hospital (1930 - 1950).

Stories From The Perth Children's Hospital (1930 - 1950). The Perth Children's Hospital was built in 1909 on the corner of Hay and T...