Wednesday 6 April 2022

Greetings From Subiaco Blog Recognised By Trove...2022.

It is good to be back on the blog post writing horse after taking a break to deal with health issues. 

I have continued to research recipes and home hints shared by the women (and men) of Subiaco through the newspapers during the early years of the colony. My findings will be published on this blog later on.

Last month was Women's History Month and Trove, the database at the National Library of Australia promoted the event on their sites on social media. Most of the information and photographs I have sourced comes from Trove.

As I research and write blog posts about the women and children of Subiaco, I responded to their post by sharing information about Agnes Robertson, a former teacher at the Thomas Street State School and later on Western Australia's first Liberal Senator. I shared information and photographs about Agnes' days a teacher and starting a soup kitchen at the school with the help of mothers and volunteers to feed the children at the school in 1941.

While the life and achievements of Agnes Robertson are documented in various biographies about women and politicians, I wanted to include something about the achievements of ordinary women in Subiaco, so I included something about the soup kitchen.

Trove wanted to write a blog post their site about the contributions made to Women's History Month made on social media. They asked me if I would like to have my story and blog shared and of course I said yes. Stephanie Morris wrote about my contribution and shared a link to my blog. What an honour ! I finally feel a bit like a real researcher and their post has inspired me to get back on the blog writing horse and editing articles.

Many thanks to Trove, the database at the National Library of Australia for the site and information they share. The Trove article is titled "Trove Tales: Remarkable Women in Trove" by Stephanie Morris. A copy is available at www.nla.gov.au.

The images are from Trove. No copyright infringement intended.






Stories From The Perth Children's Hospital (1930 - 1950).

Stories From The Perth Children's Hospital (1930 - 1950). The Perth Children's Hospital was built in 1909 on the corner of Hay and T...