Monday 5 October 2020

Children And The Royal Show (1910 - 1913).

Greetings From Subiaco: Children And The Royal Show (1910 - 1913).

It is currently school holidays this week and usually the highlight for many children is the Royal Agricultural Show where the country meets the city. However, due to the CO-VID 19 pandemic sweeping the world the State Government cancelled the event.

The Royal Agricultural Show was a regular event attended by and discussed between Auntie Nell and children in the children's pages in The Daily News newspaper over the years. Despite all the attractions of a modern world for children with technology, the Royal Agricultural Show still holds some of the same fascination and excitement as it did for children over a 100 years ago. There is a wonderful description of Children's Day at the Show in 1912 copied below from Trove, the database of The National Library of Australia.

The  letters and essays copied below are from some of the children who lived in Subiaco and Perth who wrote about the Show and were published in The Daily News newspaper.  Some were awarded prizes for their effort. Auntie Nell encouraged the children to share what they saw, was interesting to them and be original in what they wrote. The years these letters were written are from the time Jessie Downie was Auntie Nell from 1910 to 1914.

One letter was from a regular children's page contributor Daphne Pyett from Subiaco in 1911. In 1912 a young girl Rose from Maylands articulately wrote about Children's Day and the fascination with the side show and games for children. In 1913 a young boy from Subiaco, Jack shared his experiences at the Royal Show of going on the rides and having a sausage sizzle and icecream. These features described by children over a hundred years ago are still enjoyed by children today. 

These articles are from Trove, the National Library of Australia database. No copyright infringement intended. 


The Daily News. 21 October, 1911.

My Letter Bag

57 York-street, Subiaco

Dear Auntie Nell, — As I have not written to you for some time, I will take the opportunity of doing so now. I am going to tell you about 'My Visit to the Royal Agricultural Show.' Last week I went to the Show, and I did enjoyed myself immensely. We arrived at the gate about 12 o'clock. The first things that greeted my eyes- from a long distance were the numerous windmills and flags. After passing through the gate I was interested in seeing the many different brands of stone. We were also very surprised to see so many merrygorounds, which, I think, no show is complete without. But knowing what a number of places we had yet to visit, we turned into a large hall. In this hall were the finest things I have ever seen. Large roses and pansies, and many nice fresh vegetables, including large swedes. We then decided to visit the sheep and stroke their woolly coats. Some were shorn, and looked very miserable, while others with their coats on were waiting for their fate. Little do they know how their wool is made into blankets and woollen clothes to keep us warm. Then we disposed of some money at Albany Bell's. The mantel pieces and chairs in Whittaker Bros. were something to be proud of; also the nice neat little settlers' cottages, which may be obtained for a small sum of money. Hearing the sound of nice music, we ran to see Beale's pianos, which are very nice. The inspection of machinery was the next item, and there were very many different machines; for making wheat, maize, etc. The water was very wonderful, on one large tank it was written, '45OOO' gallons per hour'. But the noise of the machinery is enough to give one a headache. I then hurried to see the Children's Hall, where many beautiful drawings were. A little friend of mine went in for two kinds of writing, large and small, and received first prize for her small hand and second prize for her large hand. I think that was very good indeed. Next year I hope to compete in the cooking or laundry. Then we settled down to see the ring events. The horses were very fine, but I thought the stock parade was best. Good-night, Dear Auntie. I must close now, as I am very tired. With lots of love and kisses, — From your loving niece, DAPHNE PYETT.

Dear Daphne,— I very much enjoyed reading your visit to the Agricultural Show, but I cannot yet say if you are a prize winner. Your little friend did very well indeed to gain a first and second prize for writing. Hoping to see you on Saturday, and with love, dear, from yours lovingly,— Auntie Nell. 


The Daily News. 19 October, 1912.

ESSAYS ON THE ROYAL SHOW

103 Thomas-street, Subiaco

Dear Auntie Nell, - I am writing a letter about the things I saw at the Show :- I first went into the flower house, and saw a lot of beautiful flowers: then I went into the ground stand and saw the horses jumping the hurdle. Then I had two icecreams and went on the joy wheel, and liked it the best off all. After a while I got a sausage on bread. When I had finished my dinner I went on the merry-go-round. When I went home I had sixpence for a walking-stick and gave it to my auntie. My sister wrote a letter to you, and I wish I could win a prize. - I remain yours truely, JACK JACOBY.

Dear Jack, - What a fine time you had at the Royal Show. It must have been very funny seeing all the people on the joy-wheel. Eifrida wrote to me last week, but she did not get a prize. You must look to the prize list to see if you are a prize-winner. You do not say how old you are in your letter. Hoping to hear from you soon again, - Yours lovingly, Auntie Nell. 


The Daily News. 12 October, 1912.

26 Carr-street, West Perth.

Dear Auntie Nell,— I am going to write you a little letter of what I did at the Show also what I saw there. The train was very packed when we went down to Claremont; we were like sardines in a tin. The windmill were going round very quickly pumping water and showing people what they were used for, and what they wanted on a farm. They use them for many things in the country. They use them for cutting chaff, sawing wood and a great many more things. We also saw the hurdle race. It was a lovely day down there. I went on the merrygo-round and had a good time. I bought a Nestle's chocolate and a flag. Mother bought a necklace for sister. There were quite a lot of things to buy. I saw my auntie and uncle from Cranbrook at the Show. Now, I think I will close. I remain with love and xxxxxx From your loving nephew, ERIC, aged 71/2 P.S. I hope to see my name in this week's paper - E.

Eric, - Your letter on the Show was splendid for a small boy seven years of age, and original— that is what I like to see in essays. How delighted your sister must have been with her neck lace. Did you go on the Joy wheel ? You must look in the prize section to see if you are a prize winner. Much love from Auntie Nell.


The Daily News. 12 October, 1912.

10th Avonue, Maylands.

My Dear Aunt Nell,— I now take the pleasure of writing, to you again. I saw in your postscript that you were offerIng prizes for the best essays on 'Children's Day at the Show' so I thought I would compete and see if I cannot gain a prize. The third day of the Royal Show, known as Children's Day, is certainly one of the most pleasant of the week, for there is an absence of the bustle which marks the judging day and the crush and general inconveniences which the thousands of people who attended the opening, had to put up with. Thursday mornlng saw the Show Ground early patronised and the weather showing an early touch of summer, withal there was a moderate breeze, and did Its little towards the general gaiety of the day by setting the windmills whirring In brave array and fluttering the hundreds of flags in a perfect ecasty. Children's day it was indeed, for with the earliest of trains the children arrived in batches and battalions. The delights to be enjoyed were to varied, and to numerous that the young folk were for a time at a loss where to start on the tour of Inspection. The sweets stalls and ice cream carts, amid different forms of games of skill and chance were eagerly thronged. About twelve o'clock all the available places wero occupied for lunch. The more Interesting of the exhibits being viewed, the children gave themselves up to the pleasures of many sideshows. The leve conducted by Mrs. General Mite was attended by hundreds of children. The most attractive of all was the children's hall in which the work of the pupils of various schools were exhibited. Well, dear, Auntie, hoping this will meet with your approval. I will, with fond love conclude. I remain your, loving niece xxxxxxx ROSE M'OUIGAN.

Dear Rose,— I congratulate you on your essay. Is exceedingly good. However, I can not at the time of writIng say who the prize winners are. Love and kisses from Auntie Nell. 


The Daily News. 18 October, 1913.

MY LETTER BAG

11 Sublaco-road, Subiaco

Dear Auntie Nell,— I am going in for this week's essay competition on the Show. I have not written to you for a week because I have not had the paper. I got second prize in the show for painting. Did you go to the Show, dear auntie? If you did, I hope you had a jolly time and enjoyed yourself. I went and I enjoyed myself. I think I will close now, auntie, as I want to write a good assay. Good-bye until next week.- I remain, your affectionate niece, HAZEL HAYES

Essay. 'Are you going to the Show?' Is the question that escapes many lips. "I rather think I am" answers the person who is asked. Show day is the day of days among the little folk, who regard going there as a treat of their lives. But, oh! when do get there we wish we were far away, for the hurry and bustle of the people is very unpleasant. The little ones wish to see everything at once, and then poor mother is at her wits end to know what to do. But we will leave the mother and wander away, to see the sights there are to see. First of all, I prefer going to see the children's hall where the exhibitors are gaslng proudly on their work which has gained a prize. After we have seen all that there is there we will proceed to the exhibition hall and have a peep at everything on view. On seeing all we will go and witness all the events in the ring. First of all I think is the parade of animals, the jumping and hurdling and last of all is the sheep dog trials, which clearly show the intelligence of the dumb animals. Having seen everything there is to see, we go home, after spending a very enjoyable day at Claremont.

Dear Hazel, I am so pleased to hear of your success at the Show. How proud you must feel at winning a prize for your painting. No, I did not go to the Show, dear but, reading the lovely letters of my Sunshiners was almost as good as a visit. I enjoyed your essay dear; It is very intelligently written. I am glad the day was such a happy day to you. Hoping you will write to me something about the wildflowers  for next week - Yours lovingly, Auntie Nell.


Royal Show, 17 October, 1913.




Royal Show, 18 October, 1912.





Royal Show, 21 October, 1911.






Stories From The Perth Children's Hospital (1930 - 1950).

Stories From The Perth Children's Hospital (1930 - 1950). The Perth Children's Hospital was built in 1909 on the corner of Hay and T...