Saturday 12 September 2020

Children Helping Children : Auntie Nell And Ailsa's Sunshine Bazaar (1910)

Children Helping Children. Auntie Nell and Ailsa's Sunshine Bazaar (1910).

Many of The Daily News' Sunshine League children (including some from Subiaco) featured regularly in Auntie Nell's column and pages for raising money for the Orphans Christmas Cheer fund, a picnic that was held at the end of the year for the orphans of Perth. Thelma M'Callum, Fredda Miller, Diana Lazarus, Daphne Pyett (from Subiaco) Edith Dunn (from East Perth) and Ailsa Skene (from North Perth) were some of those children. Thelma M'Callum and her friend Fredda Miller had their bazaar at Thelma's home
 at 37 York Street, Subiaco. Auntie Nell shared a report in her column.

Ailsa Skene had her bazaar at the Protestant Hall in North Perth. The children of the Sunshine League made things to sell and volunteered to work at the stalls or they had their own bazaar to raise money for the Orphan's Christmas Cheer Fund. 

On Saturday 26 November 1910, Auntie Nell provided the following description in her column. Auntie Nell wrote... "My Dear Nieces and Nephews, - I find it almost impossible to adequately express my thanks and appreciation to Ailsa Skene for her untiring work in connection with the convening and success of carrying out the bazaar at the Protestant Hall, Beauford street last Saturday. The function was one of the prettiest ever yet held by the Sunshine workers. The hall was decorated in a manner that caused many eulogistic comments whilst the refreshment, ice-cream, sweet and fancy stalls attracted by their tasteful arrangement and variety of goods many people, who showed by the expression of their faces that they were having an enjoyable time.

Then there was the Fairy Well or fish pond, and the denizens of the deep that were hooked by the anglers were of the most unusual types. Sometimes a gentleman would fish out a doll, amidst much laughter. Though the fish could not have been eaten, yet the angler always seemed pleased with his catch. If it was of no use to him personally, he would present it to someone and have the satisfaction of seeing somebody else happy. Ailsa indeed worked hard, and even borrowed a hand-cart to convey her goods, to the hall, but I have also to thank the stall holders and others for their assistance. I was pleased to note that all my nieces and nephews wore our red badges. Some of them who forwarded donations came from as far away as York and Collie, and even Geraldton. Mr. Kingsmill, M.L.C. at the last moment was prevented from performing the opening ceremony and instead Mrs. Fallows kindly opened the bazaar. In her charming little address she paid a high tribute to the work done by the Sunshine-makers, and congratulated Ailsa on the great success that attended her efforts. The proceeds and donations received for the bazaar amounted to over £13, of which £10 was clear profit. This amount has been handed over, and will be donated to the orphans cheer fund.

I should particularly desire to thank Mrs. Skene and Mrs. Mantova, who gave so much of their time and help; not only on Saturday but in attending the meetings, prior to the bazaar. I should also like to thank Mrs. Miller and Mrs. M'Callum, who donated all the ice-cream for their ice-cream stall, Professor Wessel, who acted as accompanist through out the day; the Roselea Nursery for the donation of beautiful pot-plants, Mr. Emery, for his gift of half a sovereign, and all others who contributed so materially to the success of the bazaar. I hope to see some of the Perth Sunshine-makers at the fete arranged by Etta Hollis this afternoon. I know that attractive goods may be purchased, and an enjoyable time is anticipated. With much love to one and all, yours affectionally, Auntie Nell."


Soon after on 29 November 1910, Auntie Nell wrote in column that prizes would be given for accounts of Ailsa's Sunshine Bazaar. The Sunshine League children who shared their thoughts and experiences were like reporters. Other topics for essays were given for children who could not attend.

The articles can be found on Trove, the database of the National Library of Australia.


PRIZE ESSAY. Daily News, 26 November 1910.

East Perth.

My Dear Auntie Nell, — I should like to try and write an essay on Ailsa's Bazaar. First of all I think Ailsa was very clever to arrange such a big thing, don't you, auntie? And that we all ought to feel grateful for the way she has made the Thermometer rise.

We were all disappointed that Mr Kingsmill could not open the bazaar for us at the last minute, but Mrs. Fallows did, and she said some very nice things about the Sunshiners. The stalls looked so pretty. The fancy stall had some lovely dolls and dolls' hats. I bought a doll; she looked lovely dressed in yellow silk; with a wreath of yellow roses in her hair. My little sister bought one dressed as a housemaid and my little brother bought a black one with curly hair. Oh, auntie, we did have such, fun at the fairy well; it was in charge of Diana Lazarus one of your nieces, and she was so funny. In the evening there were some grown up people friends of yours there and Diana would give the gentlemen little dolls they dipped, also some pincushions. They did laugh; it really was, great fun. The fancy stall looked very pretty. We also had some icecream at the icecream stall; it was just lovely. Ailsa told me it was homemade. The cakes were also very nice. Mrs. Matova and some of the young girls were in charge there, and we had nice lemonade to drink there. Some of your little Sunshiners were selling buttonholes and bunches of flowers, and others were selling dainty baskets of lollies. In the evening an enjoyable musical programme was given, and then one of your nephews Nathan Mantes offered all the unsold goods up for auction. I thinks this is all I can think of - Your loving niece, EDITH DUNN.

Dear Edith,— I'm glad you enjoyed yourself so much at the bazaar; and that you are so charmed with the doll you purchased. She must look very dainty in her yellow silk gown. Yes, I, too, think. Ailsa is very clever indeed; the way she organised the bazaar and she is to be congratulated on the success of her effort. Your essay has gained a prize, dear. I trust it arrives safely. With much love from you lovingly, Auntie Nell.


THIRD CLASS -

(Over Twelve Years to 16.)

PRIZE LETTER ON THE SUNSHINE BAZAAR The Daily News, 3 December, 1910.

77 Heytesbury-road. Subiaco. 

Dear Auntie Nell, — Just a few lines to tell you what a great time we had on Saturday at Ailsa's bazaar. I got to the hall at about 2.30, and then we commenced work. The stalls were fixed up-in next to no time. Around by 4 o'clock everything was ready, and looked lovely and was very much admired. The sweets stall was very encouraging, and caused many looks of admiration from the little children. We were very disappointed, because Mr. Kingsmill couldn't come to open the bazaar, but, a lady kind consented to open it, but that little disappointment soon wore off as the afternoon began. Mary, Earlie, and myself had a great, time in the fairy well, especially in the evening. We took 14s. 9d, so I don't think that we did badly, and we sold out. I think it was a great success, as everything was sold. What wasn't sold at the stalls were all disposed of at the auction sale in the evening. Everybody seemed to enjoy themselves, both children and grown-ups. The evening's programme was very bright and lively. Well, dear Auntie Nell, as I have no more to say and hoping you enjoyed the bazaar as much as I did, I will close with best love from Gertie and Phillip, and - Your loving niece, DIANA LAZARUS. P.S. I have started collecting for the Orphans Christmas Cheer fund and have 7d and 6s.

Dear Diana, — You have written a very bright and chatty account of the recent Sunshine bazaar. Your letter has gained a prize, dear which I trust arrives safely. I am sure all the Sunshiners at the bazaar, enjoyed themselves very much. My friends and I all spent a happy time also. Your fairy well caused much merriment and the sum of 14s. 9d. accumulated as the result, of three penny and penny 'dips' was very good indeed. The Thermometer is rising on encouraging isn't it. I am glad you are so suscessful with your collecting. I don't think we will have any difficulty finding sufficient money for the orphans if the nieces arid nephews continue working earnestly- for the next few weeks. Thank Gertie and Philip for the sweet kisses. I hope they are both quite, well. Kiss them for for me. Will you take love for yourself. from yours lovingly Auntie Nell.


PRIZE ESSAY The Daily News 3 December, 1910.

57 York-Street. Subiaco.

Dear Auntie Nell,— I am going to tell you a little about Ailsa's bazaar. The stalls were nicely decorated with art muslin. The fancy stall was red and yellow, crowded with dainty articles made by the nieces of the Sunshine League. Some of the things were Dorothy bags, pin-cushions, dolls etc. The sweet stall was pink and green : it had a nice lot of bags, baskets, and boxes full of nice sweets. The fairy well, or fishing pond as it was called, was very funny. A gentleman would get a doll and a lady would very often get a doll's leg or other funny things. At 4 o'clock Mr. Kingsmill did not come, so Mrs. Fallows, a friend of Ailsa's, kindly opened the bazaar for Ailsa. The flower stall was very nice. There was a variety of plants of various descriptions. Then there was the refreshment stall; there were some nice cakes and scones on this stall. I cannot go to Etta's bazaar to-day, because it is too far, but I hope it will be a success. - I remain, your loving niece DAPHNE PYETT. PS Dear auntie, will you tell me when you are going to see Amy, so I can see you there.

Dear Daphne,— I was pleased to receive your letter on our Sunshine bazaar. Your effort has gained a prize. The stalls at Ailsa's bazaar all looked very charming, and I think £10 clear profit is a very excellent result, don't you? You did not come and introduce yourself to me at the bazaar, and I was hoping to meet you. I intend going to see Amy on Sunday afternoon, dear, so perhaps I shall meet you there. It is quite a long time since I have seen her. I have been out of town several times on Sundays lately. With much love, dear, and thanking you very much for the lovely parcel containing gifts for Ailsa's bazaar, also for your help, dear.— Yours lovingly, Auntie Nell.


ESSAYS

PRIZE ESSAY ON THE SUNSHINE BAZAAR

'Eschol,'

No. 2 Avenue. North Perth

Dear Aunt Nell,— I am. writing an essay about Ailsa's bazaar! My mother went to the hall and got there about two o'clock. Mother told Pearl and I to come to the hall about half-past five. We had a great time, I was playing nearly all the time. My brother Alick and Sidney Rowles were at door taking up the money. When my Aunty Addie came she bought me a nice big doll, and Pearl one too. I must ask Pearl to be one of your nieces! I sold buttonholes and, only made sixpence. I was going to sell more, but I felt tired of selling them. So I went round trying to sell a fern but nobody would buy it. Next time I might make a little more. I wish Pearl would be one of your nieces. If I ask her she will be one of your nieces. I was looking after Eva Donegan but I got there too late to see her. I told her that I would look for her. I think whoever was doing the dancing, did it beautifully Ailsa was that busy that she never spoke to me all the time I was there, and same with mother she only spoke a few times to me. I hope you are not offended with me for writing such a little essay. There were such pretty little dresses and bags. We got home about half-past eleven, because we had to stay and help, to clean the hall up and we missed our car to go home. And when we got home we went straight to bed. Wasn't it horrible, the rain and thunder. I was very tired when I got home. It is getting very late now. I will have to go too to be so good-bye. Pearl will write a letter or an essay next week. I just asked her would she be one of your nieces and she said that she will be one of your nieces. The bazaar was lovely I think, and such pretty decorations. There were a lot of pretty dolls too, and pretty hats. Hoping you are quite well, now I think I must close. I remain your loving niece, MARY TOLMIE HOPE SKENE.

My Dear Mary,— Once again you are a successful competitor and have gained a prize. I too, think the bazaar, was lovely, and all those present seemed to enjoy themselves. Then the stalls looked so pretty, and so many pretty flowers could be purchased, and the flowers were quite lovely. Ailsa would be very tired after it was all over. With much love dear, yours lovingly, Auntie Nell.








Stories From The Perth Children's Hospital (1930 - 1950).

Stories From The Perth Children's Hospital (1930 - 1950). The Perth Children's Hospital was built in 1909 on the corner of Hay and T...